What chip for 2 x 60 V?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
High Voltage chips.

Have you checked LM4780 ?

Supply Range ± 20 - ± 84 V

It's on National's web site. I didn't look at it closely but if it does go that high it might not have enough current handling capability for your application. Add some external power devices.

Cheers,
Ashok.

"Have you checked LM4780 ?

Supply Range ± 20 - ± 84 V

It's on National's web site."

That is an error, it should read 84V total swing, or ±42V.

A 2X 60V transformer will give ±85V rectified and filtered. This is consistent with the pair of 18,000µF 100V filter caps in the photo. The filter caps are big enough for a two channel amp running on 50hz (or higher) driving a 4 ohm load (or higher) per channel.

My guess is that with typical construction what you have would give 250W X 2 at 8 ohms and about 400W X 2 at 4 ohms, with about 3dB of dynamic headroom.

The dual 16V windings are intended to drive opamps, relay circuits, etc. They would normally be rectified, filtered and then regulated to ±15V.

I could recommend a circuit if I knew the intended use.

no project yet

Your guess is perfect: this is an transformer, out of an Fostex 2x350W amp!

Actually, I have no big intention or special application for such high power, specially not with my Coral Beta 8 Speakers, normally driven by my 300B SET.

So I think, I will put this transformer in my box, for a later project.

Many thanks!
Franz

P.S.
The power from the chipclones is already to high to try them with the Corals. To much risk for this gems.

Choke-input filter.

If you use a choke-input filter, once you have more than a certain minimum load, the dc voltage will sit at 0.9x the transformer voltage, i.e. +/- 54vdc. At zero load it will go up to the peak voltage though, so some kind of preloading is necessary for anything other than a class A amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.