PSU Capacitor question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I couldn’t find this by searching, so any opinions are welcome (including on my search ability:)

I’m looking at capacitors for a 60volt power supply (to power an LC Audio ZAPpulse) and there is a big variety out there for purchase in Oz.

For instance, for under the price of one 10,000uF 63v Siemens Sikorel B41550, you can get:
1. three 10,000uF 63v BHC AEROVOX ALS30 caps (costs about 15% less) – which will give you three times the capacitance and two-and-a-half times the ripple current capability
2. three 10,000uF 63v EVOX-RIFA PEH200 caps (costs about 15% less also) – but still is around 3 times the capacitance and has more than triple the ripple current
3. four 10,000uF 63v Panasonic TSUP caps costs just less than the Sikorel – but has four times the capacitance and twice the ripple current

Now, I would like to be able to have a few of the Siemens for each rail, but I would also like to be able to eat. Is there an advantage in going for the “more of less (quality)” option rather than the “less of more (quality)”?

Also, if there’s anywhere else out there in Australia to buy 63v electrolytics… Any help or opinions are welcome.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi,

Very often expensive electrolytics are, because they are specified for extreme reliability like 30.000 hrs instead of a more current 10.000 hrs, are sometimes for operation at 105 degree Celsius instead the more common 85 degree. I don't know the type you mention, but if this is the case here, your selection of the expensive one or one of the others would not influence the sound quality of your amp.

Does this help?

Jan Didden

PS My friend Guido runs his zap's with 33.000 uF / 63 V Philips caps and is quite happy, see picture at www.gydotron.com.

The caps I listed are all surge rated to +15% (or 72-73 volts) except the Panasonics which are surge rated for 80 volts. Would this not be enough for a 45-0-45 transformer? Should I look at a 42 or 40 volt transformer instead?

From searching websites in Aus, there only seems to be 63 or 100 volt caps available (the exceptions being some generics available from Jaycar rated at around 80v). I'd rather stick to 63v if I can as the prices jump sharply past this.

Cloth Ears said:
For instance, for under the price of one 10,000uF 63v Siemens Sikorel B41550, you can get:
1. three 10,000uF 63v BHC AEROVOX ALS30 caps (costs about 15% less) – which will give you three times the capacitance and two-and-a-half times the ripple current capability
2. three 10,000uF 63v EVOX-RIFA PEH200 caps (costs about 15% less also) – but still is around 3 times the capacitance and has more than triple the ripple current
I have the same caps on my short list and have the same quesion as you do: do I throw my money at a single 'superb' quality or stick with 2-3 'lesser beings'. According to some size matters... ;) The Rifa PEH200 seem to be the best combination of specs, size and price. Of course this is all speculation...

What have you chosen in the meanwhile (post was june 2004). And are there any opinions on this questions from others? It seems the unexperienced builders are never going to buy more caps than they need and therefor hardly ever make a real comparison and the more experienced ppl seem to stay a little quiet on these kinds of questions.

Maybe I should just shut up and buy a couple of RIFA ;) They seem to be very good, are expensive as it is, but not as insanely as the Sikorel.

Since electrolytic caps are some of the least reliable parts... I'd say that the only feature that justifies a higher (than basic) cost is long life @ high temperature. Boutique electrolytics that last as long as the no name no cost ones? Not for me. :)

In general, I like the Rubycon ZL,ZLH,YXH, more than Panasonic FM,FC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.