the Buzz (Hummmmm)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
O.K. Here's the problem.....
After listening to my G.C.'s happily for a while I put the guts in new cases. Now when I connect the amps to pre-amp I get buzz from the speakers, even with no sources connected. I've tried grounding everything. Funny thing is that if I pull one I.C. the buzz goes away and one channel is fine. If I disconnect power from G.C.'s , no buzz... but of course no music either.
I can't figure out if it's power supply, gainclones, or pre....
Any advice would be appreciated.

Jamie

catwink said:
O.K. Here's the problem.....
After listening to my G.C.'s happily for a while I put the guts in new cases. Now when I connect the amps to pre-amp I get buzz from the speakers, even with no sources connected. I've tried grounding everything.

This is easy to say but not easy to solve. If it worked fine outside the case, then you did something wrong when you put it inside. Your humm looks like a ground loop.

1) Are you grounding the case onto the star?

2) Are you isolating the input jacks from the case?

Carlos

Typical of people testing only one channel each time before making the amp and fitting the whole thing in the box.
I said this a million trillion times, but here it goes again:

With ONE tranformer for both channels you MUST have the two chips close from each other.
Run a thick wire, as short as possible, from the power ground of one chip to the power ground of the other chip.
On the middle point of that wire solder the ground cable that comes from the PSU.
No HUM!:idea:

carlosfm said:
Typical of people testing only one channel each time before making the amp and fitting the whole thing in the box.
I said this a million trillion times, but here it goes again:

With ONE tranformer for both channels you MUST have the two chips close from each other.
Run a thick wire, as short as possible, from the power ground of one chip to the power ground of the other chip.
On the middle point of that wire solder the ground cable that comes from the PSU.
No HUM!:idea:

Carlos, does this also apply if humming is non-existing when interconnects are not connected?
I have one transformer for two channels, and I have some small humming when I put my ear to the woofer. However if I disconnect my interconnects, the amp is dead silent with no hum at all.
I did not use your recommendation above, but seperated grounds from bridges until meet at star ground.

/Jan

2Bak said:

I have one transformer for two channels, and I have some small humming when I put my ear to the woofer. However if I disconnect my interconnects, the amp is dead silent with no hum at all.

More reasons to think of a miswiring on the input connectors, which only gets active when you plug in an external source.

Did you check those wirings as I described above?

Why don't you try disconnecting one of the RCA grounds altogether? That is leave only the RCA end on one channel or the signal end within the amp, but only one end. That maybe the loop.

By leaving just one end connected you will still shield the signal wire but severe the ground loop.

Carlos (the other)

2Bak said:

Carlos, does this also apply if humming is non-existing when interconnects are not connected?
I did not use your recommendation above, but seperated grounds from bridges until meet at star ground.

/Jan

Can you post a picture?
That may help.
It's much better to do as I said than to drive a ground cable from each channel (chip) to a star ground.
It's really a question of centimeters.
The two chips have to be close one to the other.
Absolutely no humm, with or without the source connected.
You have a ground loop there.

carlosfm said:

Can you post a picture?
That may help.
It's much better to do as I said than to drive a ground cable from each channel (chip) to a star ground.
It's really a question of centimeters.
The two chips have to be close one to the other.
Absolutely no humm, with or without the source connected.
You have a ground loop there.

pictures here: http://2bak.homepage.dk/gainclone.htm

/Jan

carlosfm said:
Jan, on your PCB, where do you join signal ground with power ground?
There are two GCs on you page, is it the 2-channel or the 4-channel one?

I join signal and pwr-ground on the main pcb with two wires as seen on the picture.
http://2bak.homepage.dk/starground.jpg
I've also tried to use a thinner wire in the right side (signal side), with no success.

Both of my gainclones has this (small) humming. I would like them to be completely silent. They are completely silent when
I unplug the interconnects.

By the way: Yesterday I was experimenting - on my two channel - with carlmarts advice above, with removing the shield in the one end of the interconnects, and the amp got silent, however when I turned up volume I heard increasing hum. I will also try this exeperiment on my 4-ch power-amp GC.

Thanks
/Jan

S.C said:
Yeah, sometime it will do. When I connecting everything to a reciever, and GC. The video sources tent to hum my speakers. After I connected an extra wire from the chassis to the receiever's extrenal ground helped to reduce the hum to unnoticeable level.

Your problem seems to be a not properly implemented star grounding.

Can you do a drawing on how all your ground wires are done? Where is your star located? Are you using a short wire between it and chassis? Where are you connecting the transformer's mid wires?

Carlos

carlosfm said:
What happens if you put a link on the RCA inputs of the amp joining the two grounds?
I think you have a ground loop the size of the interconnect cable...:D

Carlos, I'm still in doubt of what you mean.

Do you want me - at the RCA input connectors - to:

1. connect +ground and +ground between both channels with a wire and connect -ground and -ground between both channel with a wire

or

2. connect +ground and -ground for each channel with a wire, and keep RCA grounds seperate between left and right channels?

/Jan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.