Fuse Size - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2004, 12:59 AM   #1
Adam M. is offline Adam M.  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Fuse Size

Can you suggest fuse size/style to go with a 500VA toroid powering a 4 channel gainclone? I want to be safe before I put power to this thing. (Of course I will test the power supply and circuit seperately before putting the power to the chip) Also, where is the most logical place to put the fuse in the circuit?

Thanks,
Adam
Old 8th June 2004, 01:09 AM   #2
ble0t is offline ble0t  United States
diyAudio Member

Perhaps a 3A slow blow?

And it should go between the AC main and the primary side of the transformer.
Old 8th June 2004, 01:13 AM   #3
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by ble0t
Perhaps a 3A slow blow?

And it should go between the AC main and the primary side of the transformer.
I agree. I am using a 3A slow blow in my gainclone, in series with the AC hot input into the transformer primaries.

--
Brian
Old 22nd June 2004, 04:16 PM   #4
soneil is offline soneil  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Some quick questions

I am pretty much doing the same thing as the original poster - getting my feet wet with the gainclones with BrianGT's cards. I have a few questions myself, and thought this would be the best thread to post them:

1. Anyone know where I can get a dual gang 100k linear potentiometer? I want to make an ESP Better Volume Control but can't seem to find any dual gang linear pots. If no one knows of any, do you think the 100K log pots from radioshack would suffice?

2. How about those extensions that go onto 1/4" shafts from the pots to run through the inside of the case to the front for the knob? I don't even know what they're called, I've looked around digikey/partsexpress and can't seem to find anything.

3. Could someone please elaborate on the sizes of wire I need internally, I know someone mentioned braiding some CAT-5 strands together, which I think I will do, could you elaborate a bit on that? I imagine the power handling wires should be pretty beefy, as well as the signal out wires.

4. On a related note to number 3, but mostly out of curiosity, why is it stressed to have 14 guage or better multistranded interconnects from the amp to the speakers, but relatively small guage solid for the interconnects internally, such as from the chip to the binding posts? Is it the distance that has to be traveled by the interconnect what makes having a hefty wire necessary?

Anyway, thanks in advance, I am merely days away from ordering all of the parts I need, and I've got a couple of friends in the lumber business who're helping me build a nice case for it... haven't been this excited about a project in a while
Old 22nd June 2004, 04:17 PM   #5
soneil is offline soneil  United States
diyAudio Member

Er, ah, this was so the wrong thread. The only disadvantage to tabbed browsing I suppose...

Hide this!Advertise here!