Any interest in GC input buffer and power supply regulator pcb's?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't been on this forum long but I can tell already, that if a good project exists, the compulsion to make it better is right behind. With that in mind, how about the hi-end GC with input buffer and ps regulation? I know I'm gonna do one like that. I don't have them, but Pedja has some pretty spiffy designs that he is willing to let the DIY folks use for a group order type project like Brian's.

Brian said he might (and I'll stress might) be able to help with the pcb design, and Pedja might also be willing. But the project needs someone to organize a group specification/buy ala Brian GT. Any interest/takers?

Sheldon

agent.5 said:
I am interested. Are you planning on using a tube as buffer?

I'm thinking of one myself. The JFET circuit Pedja has described looks like it would be pretty easy to convert to low voltage tube use ala Rasmussen's JTLi, though I don't know enough to supply the details. My guess is that most here would want the JFET version, but the same board might be useful for either.

Sheldon

i send sheldon a ready pcb file and he is "authorized" to use it as he likes.
it is made for lm3886 and the regs are lt1083 with trimpots for V adj. there is also a dc - null trimpot. the two full bridges are made for IR hfa08tb60 and likes. and there is space for one cerafine 10000uF/63 / channel.
as you see, its a complete amplifier pcb - just ad a transformer and go.......:santa2:

tbla said:
i send sheldon a ready pcb file and he is "authorized" to use it as he likes.
it is made for lm3886 and the regs are lt1083 with trimpots for V adj. there is also a dc - null trimpot. the two full bridges are made for IR hfa08tb60 and likes. and there is space for one cerafine 10000uF/63 / channel.
as you see, its a complete amplifier pcb - just ad a transformer and go.......:santa2:

Thanks,

Anyone want to take a stab? I don't have the experience to do it. I do agree that separate boards for a buffer and reg. seem best. Then one can do basic GC, or various deluxe versions.

Sheldon

Yes, if it is meant like a possible addition to the existing amps, it is probably better to make regulators and buffers independently of each other.

First, it should be determined what regulators will be used (if 3-pin ICs, then the same board can serve both for LM338 and LT1083/1084). Then it should be defined how the heatsinking will be done. The designing of the board for this purpose then shouldn’t be that difficult and I may try to help with this part (but can’t deal with anything else at the moment).

As about the buffers you see in my site, and because of the power-up thump, only the simpler buffer can be implemented straightforward, and this assumes you do not use high-efficiency speakers. The MOSFET cascoded JFET buffer has the power-up thump that must be solved by the additional means.

Pedja

Pedja said:

As about the buffers you see in my site, and because of the power-up thump, only the simpler buffer can be implemented straightforward, and this assumes you do not use high-efficiency speakers. The MOSFET cascoded JFET buffer has the power-up thump that must be solved by the additional means.
Pedja

If you use the LM3886 or the LM4780 instead of the LM3875, you can use the muting circuit for a small delay at power-up.;)

The power-on thump is definitely an issue.
I've built a veroboarded prototype based on Pedjas buffer design :) which exhibits a very loud thud through my speakers :eek:. I'm planning on building a final version (on PCBs) with the chip regulators. To stop the thump I'm going to use a seperate transformer and regulators for the buffer stage and use the slow start circuit for the regulators on the 3875s.
I did wonder about using a chip with muting but have always felt that thay must compromise sound to some degree - relays are also out for this reason.

I'm hoping to start building PCBs in next week or two - would love to see any ideas people have for designs. My preference is to keep the regulators on the same board as the chip to minimise distance and wiring/connections. May also include the buffer circuit on the same board.

BTW Pedjas GC sounds absolutely fantastic - MANY THANKS PEDJA

cheers
Dickie

dickiegeorge said:
I did wonder about using a chip with muting but have always felt that thay must compromise sound to some degree
My personal opinion about this, is that LM3875 and 3876 is exactly the same chip but with the exception of a maybe laser burned resistor. The 3875 has it and 3876 has it removed. Therefore the mute function is harmless. This is only a statement from me but it would be interesting if anyone can pick this in a double blind test :nod:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.