taming the gc beast

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
I completed the gc. Okay half of it (one channel). Hooked it up to a cheap speaker. damn that amp is LOUD even with one speaker (mono). I'm using the Alps 100K volume control (from radio shack). With the volume control I was able to turn down some of the sound but it's still to loud. Do I need larger pot maybe 250K? or Did I wired it wrong? It has 3 pins for each channel (total 6 pins). I wired signal in from rca on pin 1st (outside) and signout to pcb (middle pin? Left 3rd pins empty and 4th pins empty too on the other side?
btw the amp is good stuff made my cheap speaker sound good.
i can't wait to hook it up to the good speaker. wow kekeke
thanks

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
SS1 said:
Hello
I completed the gc. Okay half of it (one channel). Hooked it up to a cheap speaker. damn that amp is LOUD even with one speaker (mono). I'm using the Alps 100K volume control (from radio shack). With the volume control I was able to turn down some of the sound but it's still to loud. Do I need larger pot maybe 250K? or Did I wired it wrong? It has 3 pins for each channel (total 6 pins). I wired signal in from rca on pin 1st (outside) and signout to pcb (middle pin? Left 3rd pins empty and 4th pins empty too on the other side?
btw the amp is good stuff made my cheap speaker sound good.
i can't wait to hook it up to the good speaker. wow kekeke
thanks

Wire the third pin on the pot to your input gnd.

--
Brian

Where is your ground connection to the vc pot.

It should be wired like this. With control shaft pointing to you and connections on top.

Input from RCA jack to the connection on the right.
center connection to the input of the chip.
ground the left connection to RCA ground.

This way you will be able to turn the volume all the way down to off.

Later BZ

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Here is a picture of the wiring, if anyone is still confused. To figure out which pin is pin 1, turn the pot to the maximum volume setting (all the way clockwise), and the pin with 0 ohms to the middle terminal (pin 2) would be considered pin 1.

--
Brian

Attachments

• pot.gif
    pot.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 278
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.