what the (&*%&^%&*)^*10 samples?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I always understood the policy to mean "5 of each product" rather than five total samples a week. I got 5 3875T's, 5 3875TF's, and 5 4780's in a single week.

I'm sure that if you were seriously abusing the system, they'd get upset. I personally feel that once you get a sample of a product and everything works out well for you, it's just common courtesy to purchase devices in the future -- especially if you're selling the result of your labour...

Certainly there are those out there who try to abuse the system and rarely pay for their chips. When you're spending $100 at DigiKey on fancy caps and resistors, what's another 10 or so bucks for two more parts. ;)

Chris

yeah, pretty sure it's limited to 25 samples, 5 of 5 different models, per week, but you can also get permission to get more if needed. i go for 5 per week, but usually don't get samples every week. not sure if you can re-order samples that you've gotten in the past either.

theChris, yes you can reorder samples you have already ordered, i've done it with the 3886tf and 4881m.

And yes, it is 5 orders of up to 5 chips per order per week. This week i ordered 5 of each of the following, 3886tf, 4881m, 4651, 4652 and 4780. i'm not abusing the system though if thats what somebody thinks. i haven't ordered samples for months now, and those are all the chips i wanted to play around with.

sorry to change the subject slightly, but has anybody ordered samples of products made by On Semiconductor? They used to let you choose as many parts as you want per order and there was no shipping charge. Today, i went to get samples of the chips, transistors, and MOSFETS i am going to use for a car switching power supply and they limited me to 3 chips per order and there is an 11 dollar shipping charge. can somebody else who has a login with onsemi add a part to their sample cart and tell me if they try to charge a shipping charge?

hey,

i did order samples from onsemi about a week ago. they let me same 7 pats , 25 samples each and 3 parts, 5 samples each. and 20 dollars shipping. but maybe that's cause i live in india and it costs them more.

while on that subject, where can you get free samples of discrete transistors. national and texas only have ic's and here in india, we get only geniune small signal transistors. the power trs are all fakes, usually 2N3055's.

soundNERD said:
w00t, does it tell you there will be a small shipping charge?

i am beginning to think that that thats just a thing to try and reduce the amount of samples ordered, but they really don't charge you.

every time i send them an email asking what the charge is, they never respond.

Nope, they don't charge me for shipping & handling. If there is no stock in the warehouse, they will send me an email informing me of the delay. :D

Strangely, I'm using a @msn.com hotmail address with no problems.

I used to order with ~@hanmail.net, and the 24HR sample never worked...
So I changed it into ~@hotmail.com, and now any 24HR sample works well.

here in New Zealand they arrive witihin 2 weeks. always. hell i've got about $200USD of stuff from them (and i do have commerical plans so i'm not just abusing their generosity)

i did get a phone call tho from their local distributor though, asking what i needed the samples for. at that stage i said i was a university student doing an engineering project. that was 2 years ago - after my very first order too, never been called again since despite the many sample requests

Hey ir, which distributor was it? RS New Zealand?
I've never got a phone call before... It might be because you're in PN...

sorry to change the subject slightly, but has anybody ordered samples of products made by On Semiconductor? They used to let you choose as many parts as you want per order and there was no shipping charge. Today, i went to get samples of the chips, transistors, and MOSFETS i am going to use for a car switching power supply and they limited me to 3 chips per order and there is an 11 dollar shipping charge. can somebody else who has a login with onsemi add a part to their sample cart and tell me if they try to charge a shipping charge?

I've ordered 50 pieces of TO-3P packaged power transistors before, and they charged me $20 for the shipping fee.

Nope, they don't charge me for shipping & handling. If there is no stock in the warehouse, they will send me an email informing me of the delay.

It's because you are in Singapore, which is the place where the sampling office is... Lucky guy!:smash:

Hey ir, which distributor was it? RS New Zealand?

Arrow, based in Lower Hutt actually. that was when i was in Palmerston North.

Now i'm in Lower Hutt too, changed all my details and pretty much sampled every power opamp they have to offer and still no call

Regarding OnSemi, i got a few things from them early last year at no charge. When i tried to get sample again earlier this year, they wanted $20 for shipping

TI are still good for samples. Their quantities vary depending on the items cost. you can get up to 8 of 8 different items (so 64 IC's per week!). for example cheaper opamps TL-072's etc you can get 8 of, whereas for a more expensive OPA549 chip they'll limit you to 5. it's also handy as they all come in one box, unlike NatSemi who stick each item in a seperate envelope

matjans said:
i've ordered samples from national 2 times and (to the netherlands, at least) delivery times are pretty good, about a week or so (provided that the samples are in stock, i guess)
Alcaid said:
...National treats one after what country you are from though, so here in Norway you can't get samples for free. I've tried about 10 different E-mail adresses, some said to be working for others, but from other countries....

Hm, I tried to order 5 LM3875's two times now and both times, after 3 days I got an email that my sample order was not approved :(. Why is that? Is it because I live in Belgium? (Btw, the email address I used was ....@skynet.be, and I didn't have to pay extra costs.)

jamesjung21 said:
Make a new mail address in ~@hotmail.com, and it'll work just fine!;)
Lol, I hate Hotmail, but OK, let's try :).

Well, I get this with a Hotmail address:
"Also, due to the large demand for free samples, we now have to require a small shipping and handling fee for sample orders placed from "@hotmail.com"."

I'm too cheap for that ;).

jamesjung21 said:

Make a new mail address in ~@hotmail.com, and it'll work just fine!;)

I don't think it'll be that easy. The country in your address is what's important in their policy.

As far as I know National is not sending samples to outside of the USA anymore. I'm not sure about the others, but I think Analog also does not.

Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Carlos

Devil_H@ck said:

Lol, I hate Hotmail, but OK, let's try :).

Well, I get this with a Hotmail address:
"Also, due to the large demand for free samples, we now have to require a small shipping and handling fee for sample orders placed from "@hotmail.com"."

I'm too cheap for that ;).

Thats exactly what it says to me, and im just like you, too cheap.

Onsemi never used to charge for samples, this is the first time. I live in the US, so i wonder if they decided to just start charging samples in the us.

i have used my @electronet.5u.com address (my website) and after like 2 seperate orders of 5 chips per order i started getting that same messsage in the quote above.

now i use another website i have..

what works great is to register for a free website with www.50megs.com or www.freeservers.com and they give you free forwarding so anything sent to webmaster or postmaster @ yoursite.com gets forwarded to your normal email.

soundNERD said:
Thats exactly what it says to me, and im just like you, too cheap.

Onsemi never used to charge for samples, this is the first time. I live in the US, so i wonder if they decided to just start charging samples in the us.

i have used my @electronet.5u.com address (my website) and after like 2 seperate orders of 5 chips per order i started getting that same messsage in the quote above.

now i use another website i have..

what works great is to register for a free website with www.50megs.com or www.freeservers.com and they give you free forwarding so anything sent to webmaster or postmaster @ yoursite.com gets forwarded to your normal email.
Hm, well, I was talking about National Semi, not OnSemi. Although I noticed the same with OnSemi. I needed some MJE15003's for my JLH amp (which I couldn't get in the local store) and then some high A diodes. Next time I looked they told my I'd need to pay shipping charges too.

Oh, well, I don't need anything for the moment (well, except some LM3875s :)).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.