LM3886 car clone - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2004, 02:20 AM   #1
rwaudio is offline rwaudio  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to rwaudio
Default LM3886 car clone

I built an LM3886 based amp for my house and loved it, so I wanted to do the same for the car. So here's my "car clone" the donor amp was a Crossfire tek 35.4 (not exactly good sounding, and mine was broken) voltage rails are +/-28 to 29v depending on battery voltage, and the amp was capable of around 220-280w rms total so it should do nicely with 4 LM3886 @ 4 ohms..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cc3.jpg (65.6 KB, 944 views)
Old 27th May 2004, 02:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

And the inside...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cc4.jpg (97.7 KB, 1053 views)
Old 27th May 2004, 02:25 AM   #3
jjdche is offline jjdche  United States
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't mind doing something like this myself, except with some P3A's.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 27th May 2004, 02:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

last one..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cc7.jpg (97.3 KB, 949 views)
Old 27th May 2004, 07:03 PM   #5
palesha is offline palesha  India
diyAudio Member

I think u hv used parallel gainclone. It looks stereo. Can u give details ( schematics) how u hv done it without volume control.
Why u hv not used the pcb for 3886? This will help to do the same.
Old 28th May 2004, 12:49 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

jjdche, I'd go for it.. I got lucky and the power supply ends and the amp begins all in a pretty clear line, so the cut was easy.. I'm sure other amps wouldn't be so easy.
palesha, it's actually 4 individual channels (to run front and rear speakers in a car) the schematic is one I found on this site (inverting gainclone) and works very well, it's actually for an lm3875 but I just used the "mute" circuit from the national data sheet. there's no volume control because my car cd player has one so it's not needed. I didn't use pcb because I'm just playing around, when I find the schematic I like best (tried 3 now, deciding between 2 of them) I might go with pcb's later on. if you have anymore questions (or suggestions) don't hesitate to ask (advise) I'm still learning, but it's nice this is a fun and fairly inexpensive hobby to do so..
Old 28th May 2004, 03:44 AM   #7
jjdche is offline jjdche  United States
diyAudio Member

I actually have a 4 channel amp that had one of the channels crap out. I haven't really looked inside it recently but its a good donor amp. Hopefully the power supply will be easy to isolate.
Old 27th January 2009, 04:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up LM3886 car clone

Hey rwaudio I know this is a real old post and if you ever see this reply post I would like to talk to you about the amp and how you cut the board in half for the power supply to use. I have never in my life seen something like that ever done and especialy work.
Two BIG thumbs up brother. But please I need to talk to you about this so I hope you get this. I'm a new member so I can't
e-mail you until I do some more posting. Contact me thru this site or I'd rather you e-mail me. Great job!

Hide this!Advertise here!