Is this for real? Cheapie amp with Tripath chip

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hmm, does Target sell them at the store? I might have to head down and take a look. To bad we can't see the insides, for the price it maybe worth upgrading some of the components for giggles (nice power supply, internals....). Plus a nicer case too. Hell you could combine this with a DIY preamp in a case and have a nice computer sound system for probably less than $100.

Ok, the little Tripath amp arrived today and I took a couple of initial shots of the innards.

The board is attached via two molded in standoffs which are then melted and three globs of glue to tie it to the case so I'm not ready just yet to rip the board out to photograph the component side.

The knob on the front panel is a combo on/off volume control.

Haven't really listened to it. Don't have any reference speakers at the moment so I just plugged it into my little JVCs to make sure it worked. It did. :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

se

Hybrid fourdoor said:
Well I think I might buy one too. Definently looks like it could use some work!

Heheh, yep!

Wonder what the flipside looks like...hopefully theres a chip of some kind :xeye:

Yes, one of the Tripath chips. You can see the component side through some ventilation slots that are between the two battery holders.

I don't want to pull the board out of this until I have a new chassis to put it in. Should work ok in one of my canary coffins. I'll see if I can have something worked out today.

se

cdoggy81 said:
I take it that it uses a 3.5 mini stereo plug for the inputs (no RCA)?

That's correct. And a little barrel jack for using a wall wart.

Have you tried it using AA batteries? I think this little guy might be my soultion to a portable testing rig for MLS, RTA, etc. !!! :D

That's all I've used so far is 8 AA batteries.

I dragged out my Ol' Reliables (an old pair of Quatre 4000 loudspeakers), hooked 'em up with some of my paper speaker cables, and driven with my $39 CyberHome DVD/CD player, it didn't sound bad at all.

Hardly any sort of reference system but sufficient to tell if there were any glaring faults.

I think this could be a fun little amp and at $30 even moreso. :)

se

As far as the Blaupunkt model, do you just need a 12V DC power to it? For ~$120 (plus power) you get 100 watts stereo. Might be an interesting way to make some 3 way actives. The low powered unit on mid and tweet (one for each cabinet), and the higher powered one for bass. You think since their so efficient, 5A would be enough?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.