Looking for successful Zobel cases

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
Peter Daniel said:
Fred,

If I still was a moderator, I would ask you to stay on topic. Go back to your other favourite thread, if you have nothing (else related to the main subject) to say.

I didn't expect you'd be a game for GC boards;)

To make it clear for you, I'm looking for actual cases where Zobel was find useful, not theoretical. I don't know why this bothers you.

It doesn't. On the subject of moderation, your not a moderator, you resigned remember?

I believe I am still on topic. Your efforts to say otherwise smell of censorship. Maybe an official moderator can step in to make the judgment call. The measurements have been shown and you wanted to know more about moamps setup. I think you need enough theory to ask him what the capacitance of the speaker wire is. One can only wonder why you are trying so hard not to understand how the network works and how much capacitance is enough to be problematic without a zobel. What exactly is your agenda? You seem to think mine is selling everyone zobel networks I guess. I would just like people to understand how the circuit works and seem to be joined by others in this desire. Efforts to the contrary and self-serving motivations hardly contribute to learning and the free exchange of factual and verifiable information on the forum. This is not a matter of opinion type discussion or indecipherable theory. This is very straight forward electronics and an excellent subject for measurement and simple circuit explanations. Tell me in whose interest you are speaking and what is hurt (other than maybe your pride) by an understanding of how a zobel works. I really don't understand what you are afraid of ..... :confused:

Fred Dieckmann said:

It doesn't. On the subject of moderation, your not a moderator, you resigned remember?

I believe I am still on topic. Your efforts to say otherwise smell of censorship. Maybe an official moderator can step in to make the judgment call. The measurements have been shown and you wanted to know more about moamps setup. I think you need enough theory to ask him what the capacitance of the speaker wire is. One can only wonder why you are trying so hard not to understand how the network works and how much capacitance is enough to be problematic without a zobel. What exactly is your agenda? You seem to think mine is selling everyone zobel networks I guess. I would just like people to understand how the circuit works and seem to be joined by others in this desire. Efforts to the contrary and self-serving motivations hardly contribute to learning and the free exchange of factual and verifiable information on the forum. This is not a matter of opinion type discussion or indecipherable theory. This is very straight forward electronics and an excellent subject for measurement and simple circuit explanations. Tell me in whose interest you are speaking and what is hurt (other than maybe your pride) by an understanding of how a zobel works. I really don't understand what you are afraid of ..... :confused:

Read again, I'm not concerned with Moamp setup, I know it's good.
I merely suggested that other people setups may not be up to the task.

moamps said:
Hi,
on the picture below there is a characteristic example of LM3875 instability (oscillations within the range of a few MHz) when driven a bit harder. When the Zobel network is applied, the instability disappears. It would be a good idea for the people who have apparently never seen this to say what equipment they are using for their measurements. That is, it may well be the case that they have not been able to detect this instability due to the poor quality of the equipment.

Regards

Doesn't this pretty much say it all? Moamps has demonstrated an example which, it seems to me, is a classic. If you're going to ask people to describe a problem wherein a zoebel either did or did not fix it - then they should be required to present evidence equivalent to what Moamps has provided here. Otherwise, we can argue forever about what the "problem" was (e.g. it didn't have as much "air" or "forwardness" as when I used zipcord for speaker interconnect) - and what the ultimate "solution" was (e.g. "I packed the cables in ice for two hours and it really opened the sound")...

All this argument isn't advancing DIY without some evidence and real discussion instead of personal bickering is it? Let's see some real proof instead of conjecture and intuition only...
:apathic: :apathic:

I'd be happy to make some test equipment available if need be.

Bill

"Absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence" - Carl Sagan

What do you think........Peter?

Maybe this will help..............to bring it into more simple terms. ;)

Attachments

• 030929.gif
    030929.gif
    47.7 KB · Views: 537
Hi Peter,

Douglas Self has a section in his book about his experiments with Zobel networks. Here's a quote from part of it.

"...I removed the standard 10 Ohm / 0.1 uF Zobel from a Blameless Class-B amplifier with CFP output and the usual NFB factor of 32dB at 20 kHz. With an 8 Ohm resistive load the THD performance and stability were unchanged. However, when a 0.47 mH inductor was added in series to roughly simulate a single-unit loudspeaker, there was evidence of local VHF instability in the output stage; there was certainly no Nyquist instability of the global NFB loop."

Though you may strongly disagree with his anti-subjectivist rants, there's tons of tidbits of info like this in the book, making it well worth reading.

That's about all I could find on Zobel in Chip Amp section.

I believe, there is more inf0, but I'm not that dedicated to look for it. From whatever I posted here, it is not really clear if Zobel was definitely neccessary to remove oscillations. In some cases it seems like other fixes were actually better.

That is exactly how I remember all those troubleshoothing posts. It was always a first suggestion to try Zobel, but it later appeared that something else was to blame.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.