Looking for successful Zobel cases

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since it seems like Zobel issue becomes more and more controversial, I'm looking for cases when implementing a zobel network in a chip amp helped to stop oscillations.

Please post here a link to any posts (on this forum, or the other, Chip Amps forum) that reported fixing the oscillation problem when Zobel was added.

I'm offering Brian's board to anybody that submits such link.

Hi,
on the picture below there is a characteristic example of LM3875 instability (oscillations within the range of a few MHz) when driven a bit harder. When the Zobel network is applied, the instability disappears. It would be a good idea for the people who have apparently never seen this to say what equipment they are using for their measurements. That is, it may well be the case that they have not been able to detect this instability due to the poor quality of the equipment.

Regards

Attachments

• zobelproblem.jpg
    zobelproblem.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,262
moamps said:
Hi,
on the picture below there is a characteristic example of LM3875 instability (oscillations within the range of a few MHz) when driven a bit harder. When the Zobel network is applied, the instability disappears. It would quipment they are using for their measurements. That is, it may well be the case that they have not been able to detect this instability due to the poor quality of the equipment.

Regards

Moamps,

Your scope trace didn't come out very clear.
I think increasing the intensity of your trace, or turning the background lighting down a bit would give a clearer picture..

So anyway, are you referring to the blurry region at the peak and trough of the sinewave as the MHz oscillations???

If yes, then what are your timebase and sensitivity set to on the 'scope, and what frequency is your input signal??

I'd like to try and reproduce this 'problem' on my GC, and would appreciate some information on your testing parameters.

SteveM

grataku said:
Sorry Mo, but no boards for you! ;)
That a textbook oscillation that I can even successfully produce on the AlephX under certain circumstances...and when I do it doesn't go away with a zobel.
Hi:
Board or no board, the Aleph doesn't need a zobel because of its topology. If it oscillates, this indicates the presence of a positive feedback (which is independent of the load) somewhere in the circuit. IMO

Regards

BlackDog said:
So anyway, are you referring to the blurry region at the peak and trough of the sinewave as the MHz oscillations???

Blurry region is ca 2MHz oscillation at 10kHz sinewave.
If yes, then what are your timebase and sensitivity set to on the 'scope, and what frequency is your input signal??

10kHz input, ca 40Vpp level on the IC output, a crappy Technics speaker

Regards

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
"Zobel Network: A capacitor and resistor of specific values, placed in series across the loudspeaker terminals of an amplifier, to reduce oscillations which can cause instability and excessive heat-output from the chip."

From the http://ampchipdiy.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=224 link

"I wasn't looking for a definiton of Zobel"

Maybe you should ........... I think anyone with a basic understanding of
electronics should find enough information in the diyAudio Forums > Top > Amplifiers > Chip Amps > Do we need Zobel with chip amp thread to see how one works.

The only controversy on zoble networks seems to be your refusal to show the slightest interest in how they work in order to derive some criteria of when they are required and when they are not. Well maybe spliting the thread, for reasons that escape me, is controversial. I think everyone would be quite happy to discuss this in a new thread if desired. I would be happy to rehash to relevent points in this thread as well.

Fred,

If I still was a moderator, I would ask you to stay on topic. Go back to your other favourite thread, if you have nothing (else related to the main subject) to say.

I didn't expect you'd be a game for GC boards;)

To make it clear for you, I'm looking for actual cases where Zobel was find useful, not theoretical. I don't know why this bothers you.

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
On the other hand

Peter Daniel said:
It would be also interesting to know what circuit, and how implemented, they use. I had also problems with instability, but it was fixed after changing grounds layout.

Why is it such a stretch that problems of instability should respond to the correct application of a Zobel network then? I am really confused with where you are going with this........ Are you trying to concede gradually or is this latest information supposed to support your position? Hasn't this been beat into the ground enough at this point? :smash: We really don't want to cut into your amp building time over an 'agree to disagree' type issue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.