Help - Preamp with LM1036

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've noticed this nice little chip (LM1036) from NS, it seems it would be perfectly suited to my gainclone. But what I don't understand from there schematic in the PDF, is what/where the POT's go to control the Bass/Treble/Balance etc. Could anyone possibly point this out to me?

The LM1036 is "DC controlled", so the DC level at the control pins sets the effectiveness of volume, balance, etc.

quoting from National website:
Four control inputs provide control of the bass, treble, balance and volume functions through application of DC voltages from a remote control system or, alternatively, from four potentiometers which may be biased from a zener regulated supply provided on the circuit.

Cheers

Andrea

You can simply use the LM1036 per the suggested schematic shown in the datasheet. This IC allows a fully functional Tone, Volume and Balance preamp to be easily made.

The reference schematic works and you can use a switch for the loudness function (more tone boost at lower volumes). I recommend operating it at 12-15V. As the supply is single ended, you must use input/output caps per the schematic. The chip tends to get warm as it dissipates >300mW during normal operation.

Note that the LM1036 cannot handle high level inputs (e.g CD player outputs at 1Vrms). It works best with 100-300mV input. So add resistors/op-amp buffers where necessary depending on your application.

I used the LM1036 for a simple computer amplifier before so I cannot comment on its sound quality, only that it works as advertised.

Good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.