12 volt trigger - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2005, 01:55 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhenryp
I've built a very simple circuit that has worked without a problem for 8 months now. I got a 12V DC 1 amp wall wart and plugged it into the switched AC outlet of my receiver. I used this 12V output to control a 12 V relay with a 30A (@>120 AC Volts) contacts. I use the relay contacts to switch the AC to several components, among them a 1200 Watt Crown Pro Amp. I bought the wall wart and relay from All Electronics for less than $10.
Hmmmm I'm looking to do the same thing to turn on 2 surge suppressors with 12v triggers....what parts do I need and can I delay the turn on time??

thanks
-chris
Old 15th January 2005, 03:47 PM   #22
dhenryp is offline dhenryp  United States
diyAudio Member

What I did was simply plug a 12v wall wart (~ 1 amp) into the switched outlet of my receiver. When the switched outlet turns on I have 12 volts available at realtively high current. I use this 12 v to power a hefty 12 v relay that can switch 120 VAC at high current. I got mine surplus from All Electronics and it can switch 30 amps (more than enough, but too much can't hurt). I built the relay into a small box and attached a line cord to the contacts and brough the switched 120v into my power conditioner. I cut the plug off the power conditioner and hardwired it to the relay contacts. It's about as simple as it gets.

I'm sure you can come up with a 555 IC timer circuit to give you delayed turn on but it would be considerably more complex and I didn't need it.

Good luck.

Denis
Old 15th January 2005, 06:33 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhenryp
What I did was simply plug a 12v wall wart (~ 1 amp) into the switched outlet of my receiver. When the switched outlet turns on I have 12 volts available at realtively high current. I use this 12 v to power a hefty 12 v relay that can switch 120 VAC at high current. I got mine surplus from All Electronics and it can switch 30 amps (more than enough, but too much can't hurt). I built the relay into a small box and attached a line cord to the contacts and brough the switched 120v into my power conditioner. I cut the plug off the power conditioner and hardwired it to the relay contacts. It's about as simple as it gets.

I'm sure you can come up with a 555 IC timer circuit to give you delayed turn on but it would be considerably more complex and I didn't need it.

Good luck.

Denis
I understand what a wall wart is, and that's about it. I'm a little technically inept....so I need a wall wart with about a 1 amp output. What kind of relay do I need? I assum I then just split two lines off the relay into my two surege supressors with 1/8 mini jacks?

Anyway, I'm starting to get the picture.

thanks
-chris

Hide this!Advertise here!