Securing Torids

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All-

I have bought some transformers from of Steve @ Apex.jr and am looking for the best method of mounting.

I see most torids have the "hubcap" plate to pinch the torid to the chassis but I was hoping to hear of other possibilities.

In my Jeff Rowland model 2 the two transformers are in a steel or lead tube and that is mounted to the chassis.

http://www.jeffrowland.com/m2pix.htm

By the way, my gainclone(brianGT's boards) is to look similar to my model 2.

I was thinking of putting the two torids in a box potted with epoxy? Then mount the box to the chassis.

Anyone do something like that? Or have pictures of "creative" mounting solutions?

Thanks in advance,

Troy

edit 1 URL addition
edit 2 chassis design comment

I don't think I'd suggest potting a toroidal transformer, as they will need to dissipate some heat while operating, especially at or near their rated output power limit.

That said, one trick I've seen employed is to mount the toroid via 3 to 6 straps or tiewraps looped through square tiewrap mounting pads. This has the advantages of flexing and not rattling and not reacting to the magnetic fields in and around the toroid core, but has the disadvantage of requiring more than just the two-sided foam tape the mounting pad come with.

oO

If you notice on the Plitron transformers they epoxy the center and then drill a hole thru the epoxy go to the peter danials thread on the gainclone chassis group buy and take a close look at the plitron transfomer mounting I think this is one of the best technics I've seen

Attachments

• teflon discs.jpg
    teflon discs.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 335
The truth is that almost any fairly rigid material will do Troy and in my book, the less it costs, the better ;)

Of course, the base will just show under the amplifier so I would not favour plywood for instance. The pieces of polycarbonate (I think that is what I used) were dumped from a local factory and I got to them before the garbage men!

After two years I am still awaiting the next 'dumping'. :bawling:

Actually I won the auction for these Teflon disks.

I will experiment with putting my transformers on them and attaching the chassis spike to the bottom part of the bolt to isolate the troids from the chassis completely.

I won 23 disks so I have LOTS to experiment with.

For my first GC amp the pwr supps will be external, but I hope to eventually make a single chassis stereo unit with pwr supps in the same box where these "may" make a difference.

Troy

edit: added "where these "may" make a difference" so the inclusion of future plans has some relevance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.