A possibility for compact heatsinking - Xeon Wind Tunnel! (Pics!) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2004, 08:37 AM   #11
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by karma
good thing i saved this one now i wana try it
That has to be the ugliest piece of industrial design I have ever seen! Burn it! Burn it, now!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 16th May 2004, 09:35 AM   #12
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

The heatsinks I´ve shown I believe are manufactured by Fischer Elektronik.
You can download PDF catalogues from their site.
I got the heatsink from ELV and I think they´re the same. I´ll compare and get back hopefully with C/W-ratings as ELV doesn´t mention them.
(They just say the small one can take 100W and the bigger one 250W with full throttle of the fans;-))
If you go to ELV-page you´d have to search for "LK 75" or "LK 40" in the textfield on the bottom.
For the small one you need two halfs costing 10.50€ each.
The bigger one will cost 15.50€ each.

So it´s not particularly cheap but still better than directly from Fischer-Elektronik.
Another problem is the groove to hold the screws.
Your IC won´t have contact in places and the base is also not that thick.
Going for a high power GC and mounting multiple IC´s one the sink you´ll definitely want to install a fat aluminium bar or whatever to improve contact.
But yes if you include the heatsink properly in your amp you can make a nice compact design.
You can also mount it vertically like in one of Peter´s amp with the copper pipes but that not the most flat amp then.

(BTW: Searching for the LK´s you´ll find a gainclone PCB in the shop which is the worst design ever.
It doesn´t include input cap, resistor path to ground from input.
I´ve tried it, if the pot comes lose you´ll have a substantial DC offset at the ouput which a friend of mine burned his speakers with. I emailed them about it but they´re rather stupid)
Old 16th May 2004, 03:07 PM   #13
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by neutron7
fans on a gainclone???? SACRILIGE! its supposed to be quiet, its not like you are trying to heatsink a 500W amp or something.

use the cool heatsinks by all means but not the fan!

just turn it upwards in your desighn and let lovely silent convection do its work
ya i am going to use the heatzinc the fan is ugly

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse

That has to be the ugliest piece of industrial design I have ever seen! Burn it! Burn it, now!
yes it is and it hardly fits in a pc case without hiting the psu bad design by coolmaster

Old 16th May 2004, 05:16 PM   #14
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Are these the new heat sinks required for the new Intel Xeon's .. man there huge.. I was thinking about building a dual zeon system one day for a home box.. with POWER...
Old 16th May 2004, 10:31 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
good thing i saved this one now i wana try it
Always thought those Coolermaster Jets were oogly.

Quote:
Originally posted by neutron7
fans on a gainclone???? SACRILIGE! its supposed to be quiet, its not like you are trying to heatsink a 500W amp or something.

use the cool heatsinks by all means but not the fan!

just turn it upwards in your desighn and let lovely silent convection do its work
Well, I do plan to mount them vertically for convective operation, but also plan to go one better...

I've got some TC622s coming. They're 5-pin TO-220 temperature-operated switches. I'll throw in a power MOSFET and bolt a 622 to each heatsink. Then, once the temp reaches whatever I set as the trip point the fan will activate and cool the 'sink down to a few degrees below the trip point. Thus there'll be no unsavory fan noise unless and until the amp actually needs it, and even then only on whichever channel needs it at the time.

Besides, my goods are going into a portable amp that'll be lugged around for DJing, etc. so fan noise is a non-issue in that application. (Practically all sound-reinforcement amps are fan-cooled.)

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
I have no idea if they even work. Personally I prefer Thermalright's SLK series for cooling processors.

Quote:
Originally posted by joensd
The heatsinks I´ve shown I believe are manufactured by Fischer Elektronik.
You can download PDF catalogues from their site.
I got the heatsink from ELV and I think they´re the same. I´ll compare and get back hopefully with C/W-ratings as ELV doesn´t mention them.
(They just say the small one can take 100W and the bigger one 250W with full throttle of the fans;-))
If you go to ELV-page you´d have to search for "LK 75" or "LK 40" in the textfield on the bottom.
For the small one you need two halfs costing 10.50€ each.
The bigger one will cost 15.50€ each.

So it´s not particularly cheap but still better than directly from Fischer-Elektronik.
Another problem is the groove to hold the screws.
Your IC won´t have contact in places and the base is also not that thick.
Going for a high power GC and mounting multiple IC´s one the sink you´ll definitely want to install a fat aluminium bar or whatever to improve contact.
But yes if you include the heatsink properly in your amp you can make a nice compact design.
You can also mount it vertically like in one of Peter´s amp with the copper pipes but that not the most flat amp then.

(BTW: Searching for the LK´s you´ll find a gainclone PCB in the shop which is the worst design ever.
It doesn´t include input cap, resistor path to ground from input.
I´ve tried it, if the pot comes lose you´ll have a substantial DC offset at the ouput which a friend of mine burned his speakers with. I emailed them about it but they´re rather stupid)
Ooh, thanks for the info! I still must possess a few of those for other projects - besides, I could always get longer segments by length and bandsaw them into smaller segments for other projects.

Quote:

ya i am going to use the heatzinc the fan is ugly

yes it is and it hardly fits in a pc case without hiting the psu bad design by coolmaster

Like I said, the Thermalright SLK series owns. Swiftec has some awesome HSFs as well but they're pricey.

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonL
Are these the new heat sinks required for the new Intel Xeon's .. man there huge.. I was thinking about building a dual zeon system one day for a home box.. with POWER...
A lot of these end up being tossed or sold on eBay, etc. as many builders are using 1U rackmount enclosures, and at about 3" tall the wind tunnel won't fit in a 1U.

And yes, these are the HSFs that come with the 604-pin retail P4 Xeons. Fans even have the Intel hologram labels.

oO
Old 16th May 2004, 10:32 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Damon Hill
What are the dimensions of the base area?
2.5" wide, 3.5" long, and a little over a pound. The base is .375" thick.

oO
Old 18th May 2004, 03:26 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Got the Wind Tunnels mounted, and amp boards mounted to them...

Click the image to open in full size.

Note the DMM, which is reading both the AC driving the speaker and the DC in the output - it's reading 0.0107VDC, and I didn't see any DC over three hundredths of a volt during the low-power tests. This is a Very Good Thing™.

Here's the business end - two of my amp modules bolted to Xeon Wind Tunnel heatsinks. With the fans running they don't get above ambient until I run a 4-ohm load at 10 watts of music power for about half an hour. They kick that much ***. I zapped one with an IR thermometer and it read 64 degrees F with the fan on and 1W RMS into a 4 ohm load.

Close-up of one of the modules and its attachment to the heatsink. The amber-colored thing is a 3-mil thick layer of Kapton MT 100, DuPont's thermally conductive but electrically insulative heatsink material.

These heatsinks definitely work. The fans are relatively loud though, so if you're not happy with fans you might want to cook up a thermally controlled fan circuit so they'll only be activated when necessary. In my incredibly scientific and precise tests the fan pulled the heatsink down to below ambient from warm to the touch in thirty seconds.

oO

Hide this!Advertise here!