Where to buy Tripath chips in US? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2004, 07:38 PM   #11
KCHANG is offline KCHANG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default My speakers

I actually have two Tripath amps. One uses the 0104A evaluation board and supposedly can produce 200W/channel. I built this one. It is now in my main system driving two B&G RD75 line-source drivers. An 120W/channel NAD amp is also used in the main system to drive two open-baffle dipolar subwoofers (each with four 18" subwoofer drivers) that cover the bass range from 180Hz down.

The second Tripath amp is the Blaupunkt car amp I mentioned in earlier posts. I used it for a brief period to drive two Fostex FX200 drivers on large (3'x4') open baffles. That system is augmented in the bass with a subwoofer driven by a plate amp.

I am new to this forum, having posted my first message last Friday.

Kurt
Old 18th May 2004, 08:16 PM   #12
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

It is because of the newly discovered superb synergy between Tripath and Fostex with Omega owners, that I pursue the lower powered chips. Noticing your FX200, wondering how that worked out. Feel free to email me with particulars.
Old 19th May 2004, 04:07 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default FX200 with Gainclone

Hi dmason,

The FX200 on open baffles worked out very well. Among all my various speaker projects, the FX200 system currently is the one I enjoy listening to the most. It is amazing what kind of good sound (to my ears) one can get from $350/pair drivers on simple boards plus an inexpensive subwoofer.

There seems to be some synergy between fullrange drivers and the Gainclone as well as good digital amps. Last weekend I helped a friend build open baffles for his Supravox field-coil drivers and 21" dipolar subwoofer drivers. With the speakers driven by the battery-powered Gainclone the result was quite excellent. I am sure that the speakers would also sound good with a Tripath amp or the Panny receiver.

Kurt
Old 19th May 2004, 04:29 PM   #14
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

Kurt, Is there available information on open-baffle sizing for Fostex??

I am thinking along the lines of narrow-ish baffles, 36X12" or so, on veneered board, angled at 5 degrees, used in series with a tiny 7" sub, powered by either a JVC RX-F10 or a Tripath EA2050.

The posts relating to use of the Tripath Griffin Powerwave 15 watter with Omega-Fostex BR on audiocircle.com are very enlightening.
Old 19th May 2004, 05:38 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default baffle design

Hi dmason,

There are many posts at the full-range driver forum (http://f18.parsimony.net/forum31999/ )that talked about the design of open baffles, and you should be able to find (or ask for) the links to two tools for modeling open-baffle response.

Generally, however, a 12"-wide baffle may be too narrow to allow the fullrange driver to go down to a point (e.g., below 200Hz) where you can cross in a subwoofer easily. It may still work though with some high-Q drivers, but some experimenting will be required.

Kurt
Old 20th May 2004, 07:49 AM   #16
lucpes is offline lucpes  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to lucpes
Default Re: baffle design

Quote:
Originally posted by KCHANG
Hi dmason,

There are many posts at the full-range driver forum (http://f18.parsimony.net/forum31999/ )that talked about the design of open baffles, and you should be able to find (or ask for) the links to two tools for modeling open-baffle response.

Generally, however, a 12"-wide baffle may be too narrow to allow the fullrange driver to go down to a point (e.g., below 200Hz) where you can cross in a subwoofer easily. It may still work though with some high-Q drivers, but some experimenting will be required.

Kurt
Kurt, can I have your input in this thread?: 'reference' speakers idea (ribbons & sealed bass bins)

Thanks!

PS. Sorry for going OT here...

Hide this!Advertise here!