Where to buy Tripath chips in US?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Consider getting a Blaupunkt car amp

Hi Owel,

One of the more economic way to get the Tripath TA3020 chip and implement it is to actually buy an amp that uses that chip. I bought a Blaupunkt car amp that uses the TA3020 chip for around $120, and it even has built-in filters. Blaupunkt has several models using that chip. See,

http://www.tripath.com/010601a.htm

All that is needed to run the amp is to connect a 12VDC power supply with enough current output to it. I used a car battery with a 1.5A charger ($17 at Walmart) connected to it all the time. That was much cheaper than buying the Tripath evaluation board.

Kurt

Hi dmason,

The Blau-Path amp worked very well in a home environment. The sound was very good, but was somehow different from the sound of the Gainclone I built. I did not bother with removing the analog front end stuff, or taking out the noisy (electric-wise)power supply. I used the Blau-Path car amp for only a short while, and then bought a Panasonic digital receiver. Interestingly, the panasonic receiver sounded more like the Gainclone. I ultimately went back to the Gainclone, which is now powered by two car batteries.

I feel that the panasonic receiver is a better deal than the Blau-Path amp. The panasonic receiver has amps for 6 channels and many digital and analog inputs, and the digital amps therein accept direct digital audio input. It is also ready for use out of the box, while with the car amp you have to provide at least a battery with a charger. Soundwise, I don't think the panasonic receiver is inferior to the car amp. Nevertheless, if you want to try a Tripath 3020-based amp, the car amp is a reasonable and perhaps cheapest way to do it.

Kurt

Tripath chips

Well, I have some TA2022 that I could sell. I also have PCBs for the TA2022 (about 2x100W, 4 ohm from +/- 32V). They were made from Tripath drawings for the Evaluation board and Reference board (i have both). The boards are double sided, double weight copper, through hole plated, solder mask / component printed. I had a few dozen of each made. I could sell them for $12 for the Reference board PCB and $15 for the Evaluation board PCB. The difference between the two is that the Evaluation board has cirquitry for automatic balancing of the outputs, and speaker output relays, the reference board has manual balancing. I guess I could also sell TA2022 chips for $30 each, if you buy them with boards. Add $12 for shipping world wide. There are a few high spec components on the board that I could also sell. The other components are fairly standard SMT resistors, caps and diodes, that can be bought from any major supplier. I guess you could get those from me to.

I am also thinking of having some PCBs made for the TK2350, 2X300W chip. Drop me an email if you are interested.

TA3020 and TR2350

Some comments on the TA3020 and the TR2350.

These two use the same signal processor, according to Tripath. The TA3030 is in a single chip while the TR2350 is made in a dual chipset, probably for manufacturing/economic reasons. Therefore the TR2350 is a lot cheaper than the TA3020. The TR2350 also has a bonus onboard SMPS MOSFET driver voltage supply, referenced to the negative supply. This would have to be made externally for the TA3020. Otherwise, the two are very similar, and perforamce data is more or less identical.

According to Tripath, soon they will be releasing Eval boards for their new "Godzilla" chip amp power supplies, with an even simpler and more efficient topology. I will think about waiting for these. As for building from the ground up, the current eval boards would do; I am more interested in the 2050 board, 50 watts, and has no requirement for 5V secondaries.... seems to be the best balance for my requirements.

JVC, which has been a Tripath client for some time, now has something called "Hybrid Dual Digital Feedback" amplifier design, which, in a vague description sounds very likely to be highly similar to the Tripath Delta-Sigma thinking, as its title would also suggest, --has just released its RX-F10 model, a $300 6X100@6Ohm receiver. Interestingly, they have included EQ in the digital domain, the sonic signature of its older brother, the RX-ES1 was surprisingly similar to Tripath, very, very smooth, almost SET-like, making even the cheeezy included speakers sound great.

The coming months are going to be interesting, to say the least.

I would however be interested in a ready to go solution with few additional requirements, of about 150 watts X2.

What they say about the "Godzilla" or TDA2075 / TDA2125 is that they will be using P-channel Nchannel MOSFETs, making the FET driver cirquitry simpler with a somewhat smaller external component count. Efficiency will be slightly lower as the P-channel MOSFETS are used, instead of N-channel. External 5V is still required, and 10V as well. They are rated at 2x75 W (TDA2075) and 2x125W(TDA2125) at 8 ohms. Do you know if the JVC design their own or Tripath based?

My gut tells me it is a Tripath item. "Hybrid Digital Feedback" is a nice clean turn on the Tripath way of doing things. Knowing they have been a big-time licensee for some four years time only furthers my speculation, or wishful thinking. Even in a noisy mass-fi outlet, the sonics of the RX-ES1 sounded more than reminiscent of my ZR1000 at home. These amps can make cheap speakers sound far, faaar better than they have any right to I realized.

What might make the RX-F10 truly special is its ability to do 7 band EQ in digital, and it also has something called "all channel stereo," which would hint that JVC has been reading the Panny 45 audio threads and offers this set-up for bi/tri-amping. If so, the RX-F10 could well be this year's little monster deal, and I am hoping it might make a good companion piece for the Behringer 24/96DCX, giving me a great opportunity to start from scratch, thinking: open-baffle two way + sub.

New to this forum, I am also interested in finding out about what types of speakers you people are using with Tripath amps, as I am changing listening rooms and will be seeking thoughts on speakers for a 14X14' irregular, using TVC/Carver ZR for now. Thanks for your input

My speakers

I actually have two Tripath amps. One uses the 0104A evaluation board and supposedly can produce 200W/channel. I built this one. It is now in my main system driving two B&G RD75 line-source drivers. An 120W/channel NAD amp is also used in the main system to drive two open-baffle dipolar subwoofers (each with four 18" subwoofer drivers) that cover the bass range from 180Hz down.

The second Tripath amp is the Blaupunkt car amp I mentioned in earlier posts. I used it for a brief period to drive two Fostex FX200 drivers on large (3'x4') open baffles. That system is augmented in the bass with a subwoofer driven by a plate amp.

I am new to this forum, having posted my first message last Friday.

Kurt

FX200 with Gainclone

Hi dmason,

The FX200 on open baffles worked out very well. Among all my various speaker projects, the FX200 system currently is the one I enjoy listening to the most. It is amazing what kind of good sound (to my ears) one can get from $350/pair drivers on simple boards plus an inexpensive subwoofer.

There seems to be some synergy between fullrange drivers and the Gainclone as well as good digital amps. Last weekend I helped a friend build open baffles for his Supravox field-coil drivers and 21" dipolar subwoofer drivers. With the speakers driven by the battery-powered Gainclone the result was quite excellent. I am sure that the speakers would also sound good with a Tripath amp or the Panny receiver.

Kurt

Kurt, Is there available information on open-baffle sizing for Fostex??

I am thinking along the lines of narrow-ish baffles, 36X12" or so, on veneered board, angled at 5 degrees, used in series with a tiny 7" sub, powered by either a JVC RX-F10 or a Tripath EA2050.

The posts relating to use of the Tripath Griffin Powerwave 15 watter with Omega-Fostex BR on audiocircle.com are very enlightening.

baffle design

Hi dmason,

There are many posts at the full-range driver forum (http://f18.parsimony.net/forum31999/ )that talked about the design of open baffles, and you should be able to find (or ask for) the links to two tools for modeling open-baffle response.

Generally, however, a 12"-wide baffle may be too narrow to allow the fullrange driver to go down to a point (e.g., below 200Hz) where you can cross in a subwoofer easily. It may still work though with some high-Q drivers, but some experimenting will be required.

Kurt

Re: baffle design

KCHANG said:
Hi dmason,

There are many posts at the full-range driver forum (http://f18.parsimony.net/forum31999/ )that talked about the design of open baffles, and you should be able to find (or ask for) the links to two tools for modeling open-baffle response.

Generally, however, a 12"-wide baffle may be too narrow to allow the fullrange driver to go down to a point (e.g., below 200Hz) where you can cross in a subwoofer easily. It may still work though with some high-Q drivers, but some experimenting will be required.

Kurt

Kurt, can I have your input in this thread?: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34140

Thanks!

PS. Sorry for going OT here...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.