Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2004, 10:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default eek, Think this is in the right place TDA 7294V question

OK, the TDA7294V is a 100w 8 ohm power amplifier chip. I've been looking at tube amp schematics, and they all need output transformers between the power amp tubes and the speakers. . . Will I need that if using this chip? If so, what transformers should I use to go between it and a marshall 4x12 cabinet. It needs to be available online in the UK, preferably with a switch card payment option. cheers, Gra
Old 14th May 2004, 10:55 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: eek, Think this is in the right place TDA 7294V question

Nearly, but not quite

I'll move this to Chip Amps for you!
Old 14th May 2004, 12:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: eek, Think this is in the right place TDA 7294V question

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixFL
Will I need that if using this chip?
99.999% of the time a solid state amp can drive a speaker directly, without the need for a transformer. This was touted as a big deal when they first appeared. For the Marshall 4x12 box the combined impedance of the loudspeakers would need to be 8 ohms. Should say somehwere.
Old 14th May 2004, 04:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Lol, Yup!

All standard 4x12 cabinets (Guitar anyway, not sure about bass) are at 8 ohms. I knew baout that one lol, experience with guitar teachers amp lol, But, to ask, I thought I saw something about this on the celestion website, Is there a way to connect 2 8ohm cabs up to give an over all 8 ohm impedance? in parallel maybe? i guess in series would double the resistance. . .
Old 17th May 2004, 03:16 PM   #5
GregGC is offline GregGC  Canada
diyAudio Member

In parallel you'll get 4 ohms. You need 4 of the 8ohms (2 pares in par and then the 2 pares in ser.)

/Greg

Hide this!Advertise here!