Common negative on LM3875?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All-

I was wondering if I could use a common ground headphone jack with the output of BrianGT's LM3875 gainclone?

I am constructing my office desk unit now and would like a headphone jack on the front for private listening.

I searched and found lots of stuff saying it was overkill :hot: , but nothing saying I couldn't combine the two negative leads from the separate chips to the headphone jack.

Thanks in advance,

Troy

I'm a little confused here. The question was

"
I was wondering if I could use a common ground headphone jack with the output of BrianGT's LM3875 gainclone?

I am constructing my office desk unit now and would like a headphone jack on the front for private listening.

I searched and found lots of stuff saying it was overkill , but nothing saying I couldn't combine the two negative leads from the separate chips to the headphone jack.

"
It's this part about the "two negitive leads from the separate chips" part that has me confused. If you mean the Negitive Power Supply rail then the answer is NO. If your talking about the signal/power supply common / Ground other wise known as the speaker negitive, then the answer is YES. You can connect the two channels together. I would suggest resistors in series with the headphone jack to reduce the signal level to the phones. 220 to 330 ohms should be fine. With out these you will be buying lots of new headphones and hearing aids before long.

Have fun BZ

Sorry for the ambiguity.

I was hoping to use a 3 connection headphone jack(TRS) and use the tip as right spkr +, ring as left spkr + and sleeve as COMMON spkr -.

Would that pose any problem for the separate chips?

Thanks again to those who replied!!

Troy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.