LM 4780 amplifier heat question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there!

I've build an 6 channel amplifier useing 3 LM4780 chips.
They're mounted on an aluminium sink (see attachment) cooled by an 80mm fan commanded by a 60 degrees celsius bimetal.

The board has 20cm/10 cm double layer(see attachment).
The ploblem is the heat. Even if muted the sink reaches 60 degrees and the fan starts blowing.
It's that normal for this kind of amplifiers?
Thanks
Jean

Attachments

• clipboard.gif
    clipboard.gif
    90.3 KB · Views: 649
In that case I think I'm gonna cut the cover and mount a higher sink. It's gonna look like a catholic organ:goodbad:

Too bad I found out too late (the board was allready made) about LM4781 (3 channel amp) wich would be much more suitable for my needs.

Anyway LM4780 thermal protection works at 150 degrees celsius and there's no way to go that high.

I also get suspcious when someone complains about heat with these chips, I have found that these chip (LM3875T & LM1875) produce negligable heat, even when pumping. My current LM3875 amp barely strays above ambient even when going hard. A lot of people get away with only using the case as a heatsink. I would agree that you might well have some serious stability issues. Try bypassing the powersupply pins with ceramic disk caps.

Shoog

You may have stability problems but that heatsink isn't anywhere near what National recommends in their tech. notes. Granted...they give a very conservative stance on sizing the heatsink but it is at least a starting point.

From their notes notes you need total supply voltage and output load to calculate the maximum power dissipated in each amplifier. After you have that number they give a simple series of equations to solve for a thermal reistance of a given heatsink.

I'm using a HS with 1.75" tall fins, 5" wide by 3" tall on a 3875 and it is way more heatsink than needed. I'd expect with natural convection a heatsing about this size would be suitable for the stereo 4780 but you should at least run the calculations first.

I'm running 86 volts rail-to-rail and using each chip in parallel for single-channel, and at 1 watt of output it takes about half an hour for my heatsink to reach 40 deg. C. The pictured heatsink is the one I was testing with.

You're probably oscillating somewhere. As Shoog said, bybass the heck outta your power supply pins.

oO

Attachments

• lm4780t_paralleled_amp_board_testing.jpg
    lm4780t_paralleled_amp_board_testing.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 491
Oscilation is my guess too.
I'll use an osciloscope to find out where the oscilation is.
It's something wrong with the heat with no signal on inputs or even if muted.

I told you that the size of the sink is limited by the case I use.

In full power when the temperature excedes 60 degrees the cooler startes blowing.

Thanks for support!

update:
Datasheet:
IDD Total Quiescent PowerSupply Current (VCM = 0V, VO = 0V, IO = 0A) 110-170 mA (max)

That means that the power disipation with no input signal is ( |+30v|+|-30V| )x110mA=6,6W/channel.
So there are 13.2W/capsule and 40W per 6 channels.

Is my calculation correct?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.