I'm new here...HELP! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sup all...I'm new here and really don't know anything.

However, I'm a very fast learner and a real DIY type of guy....

It would be great if I could build my own amp...
Now, I looked around but didn't see any write-ups or articles or anything....and everyone here seems like they already know everything!

Well I don't.....where do I start reading?
What exactly do I need to build an amp....and how hard is it to repair broken ones....and troubleshoot for problems.
is building a 400w rms into 4 or 2 ohm subwoofer amp an unreasonable goal to set?

So can someone please point me in the right direction?

Bootstrapping

I'm in the early bootstrapping phase also and have had a great time with the BrianGT NIGC (non-inverting gainclone) amp project. This is the easiest place to start and produces an amplifier of roughly 50W to each of 2 speakers. Start with this thread - "Group order of non-inverted LM3875 pc boards? Anyone interested?" and read the whole thing (it's long). Go to Brian's wiki site to order a kit. Many here have done this. Highly recommended.

The quality of sound of this amplifier will likely top anything you already have, and the power is enough for most purposes unless your speakers are 4 ohms or less and are not in the 90 percent efficient range.

Why are you hoping to start with a subwoofer amp? And why so much power? Do you already have the driver(s)?

Please give some more info about your sound system(s) or what you want for your diy sound system. The most important thing is to fit it in appropriately to your listening room so say a little about that.

Welcome to the forum!

-Robert

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Robert's advice is very sound, if you have little experience of construction, then start with something simple, and an amp to drive 300w safely and reliably is not an easy thing to construct.

However, for backgroun info, and once you have had a little practice at soldering and general construction, have a look at Rod Elliot's site, he has some good information there, and a couple of projects that might suit you

edit: Nuuk, what a suprise to see you here! Do you have a newbie alert built into your browser? :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.