Damping factor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You got me.

As I see it the source impedance does have an effect on the box Q.
Your question seems to be implying that there is an arrangement where box Q does not vary with source impedance.I don't understand this.

But you didn't answer, is it possible?

Because if it is, then the damping factor myth is exploded forever.

Cheers, Joe

`"you got me" means I don't know the answer and as explained in the next paragraph my understanding is that box Q does depend on source impedance.

Once you have a few more replies you can reveal your answer/topology that makes source impedance unimportant.

I would like to be candid, but for now I have been told to keep it close to my chest. I will give you a clue: What causes that peak in the Z plot at the free air resonance Fs of a driver, and also in the sealed box Fc? It is basically "Motional EMF" - find a technique to control that and you can drive it from any source impedance from zero to infinity. This is not theory, this has been done. Exactly why it works is not yet fully understood, but for sure it is significant. The curious thing is that it can also be applied to crossovers, so that crossovers can also be driven by extremely high impedance and yet still 'track' properly.

Not only have we built samples, but also to make sure I actually built an amplifier with an output impedance of 270 Ohm. I then asked the former owner of Pymble Hi-Hi to come over, since he has been preaching 'damping factor' to me for 20 years. I played Joe Morello on drums doing Take Five at concert level, after which he turned to me and said "how have they been getting away with this for so long." He was saying this about 'damping factor'. I also asked his "what is the damping factor of 270 Ohm into an 8 Ohm speaker?" He smiled. "Zero."

See what I means? He knew it, that damping factor is a myth. Fourty years ago, none other than Richard Small (of Thiele-Small) told me that in pretty much the same words. He thought that damping factor was nonsense.

He was right - and I proved him right!

Cheers, Joe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.