Reduce Input Gain Question?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got my battery powered NIGC running over the weekend. Quite impressed with the sound, (1mv and 11mv offset.)

However, I built it to use with an active pre and it is TOO LOUD. I have a TVC output on my pre (does not fully attenuate the signal) and 93dB speakers. I used the same values as on Peter's monoblock schema. Just a 220R input series resistor to + and a 22K to ground.

I read here that the feedback resistors set the gain. How much attenuation can I expect by increasing the 680R from (-) to 1K or more?

I did try different values on the input series resistor - I happened to have a 3.6K Caddock and I thought it may have sounded better overall (?) , but didn't reduce the gain much. Any caveats I should consider, e.g., ratios of the input resistors?

Thanks

Mike

if u are using not inverted gc then:
take the value of the resistor connected between the output of the chip to the negative input and divide it by the value of the resistor connected between the negative input and ground
if u will show a schematic it will be much easier to explain :)

Attachments

• pd's gc.jpg
    pd's gc.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 219
I am open to other suggestions - althought I hve found several references from those who have apparently used 1K and 22K in the feedback loop with no problems.

I was thinking of rigging up an 1 step "attenuator" like a 10K series resistor and a shunt resistor to halve the gain. Any suggestions on values to accomplish this?

Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.