Bridge Rectifier IC or Diodes for LM3886 Amplifer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I have got a 24-0-24v transformer from a 1200va UPS which should provide 20 ampere easily. I want to power two LM3886 (for stereo) each 33-0-33v or so using two bridge rectifier on each channel like this -

power_supply_for_amplifiers.gif

I can get 6A8 diodes which provide 6A or I can get 25A bridge rectifier IC GBJ-2510 from here. Which is the better choice? Also, how big the heatsink should be if the IC is used?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...transformer ... 1200va UPS which should provide 20 ampere easily....

Always size the rectifier bigger than the transformer!

While the running current is only what your amplifiers suck, and maybe few Amps in speech/music duty, the turn-on surge is limited mostly by the transformer.

IMHO, 25A is barely enough for this monster (over-sized) iron.

The 6A job will work for dozens or hundreds of turn-ons and then wake up dead "for no reason". After this happened to me a few times I started always speccing the rect bigger than the iron and had no more trouble.

Because your rectifier RMS current is below a few Amps, the rectifier can be bolted to a handy part of the chassis.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.