Bi amping with a pair of Wondom amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2018
Paid Member
I have a pair of Sure Electronics Wondom AA-AB32195 amplifers that I would like to use to drive a pair of MTMs

Amp,

Sure Electronics AA-AB32195 2x300W Class D Audio Amplifier Board (T-Amp Technology)

I had planned on using a Xkitz crossovers,

Linkwitz-Riley 2-Way Active Crossover, Fully Assembled [XOVER-2] – Xkitz Electronics

but after setting one tweeter on fire, I ended that experiment and went to building a passive crossover.

My source is a Topping D50,

Amazon.com: TOPPING D50 HIFI Audio DAC ES9038Q2M2 XMOS XU208 DSD512 USB 32Bit/768KHz DSD512 Decoder (Black): Home Audio & Theater

I bought the two amps because they were needed for the pair of active crossovers, but now I am just trying to think of a way to use them.

Do I just split each left/right into two to feed a left/right amp and biwire the speakers?

Will the volume/power be proportional tweeter/woofer as I adjust the output signal on the DAC/preamp?

Yes, I know, the crossover needs to be split :)

Is this worth even bothering with? Or should I just save the second amp for another project or sell it?

Thank you,

David.

Looking at the claimed output power at 40 volts single ended, it's already bridged. Plus the only way to go capacitorless output with single ended supply is bridged. So, it's bridged.

It should still be able to give around 100 watts/channel into 8 ohms, optimistically. It should be able to handle impedance dips too. Isn't that enough?

What tweeter did you cook? and what mid drivers do the speakers have? I can't think of any tweeters with anything near 300w power handling so it needs to be a LOT more efficient than a pair of mids to be able to keep up. A passive crossover won't help this either, the tweeter will still be the limiting factor.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
This is just a trial box made of left over material, but the finished box will be of the same dimensions and internal volume.

The two woofers are Peerless HDS-P830869's and the Tweeter is a Peerless DX25BG60-04.

I didn't like the TMM, I am going with the MTM.

I am not sure how driver selection factor into a wiring question though :).

Attachments

• mtm tmm.jpg
    mtm tmm.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 134
I'm not clear on the qty of parts you have. It appears you bought a pair of amps but do you also have a pair of active crossovers? If you don't then you can't do stereo, period. It's not possible to combine L and R source outputs to a single mono signal to go through the crossover and then spit it into stereo again.

Driver selection won't impact wiring but with the current speaker components you won't be able to turn the system up past about 1/4 power as the tweeter isn't capable of enough output(that is why you blew a tweeter). To fully power this system you would need a tweeter with 6dB higher sensitivity than the pair of woofers or a 99dB sensitivity.

If you are going to try passive crossovers then you don't need 2 ch amp modules, you could just use a single amp channel on each module or just use a single amp module to power both speakers. There is no advantage to bi-amping the speakers with a passive crossover and doing so would also re-introduce the overpowering the tweeter problem again.

Last edited:
Joined 2018
Paid Member
I'm not clear on the qty of parts you have. It appears you bought a pair of amps but do you also have a pair of active crossovers? If you don't then you can't do stereo, period. It's not possible to combine L and R source outputs to a single mono signal to go through the crossover and then spit it into stereo again.

I was thinking of having two sets of speaker ins, one set going to tweeter crossover and second to woofer crossover.

Left preamp signal split into two feeding a two channel amp, each channel feeding its own passive crossover in the speaker for tweeter/woofer.

I was thinking of having two sets of speaker ins, one set going to tweeter crossover and second to woofer crossover.

Left preamp signal split into two feeding a two channel amp, each channel feeding its own passive crossover in the speaker for tweeter/woofer.

That adds complication for no real benefit over a regular 2-way passive crossover. And as mentioned the tweeter still can't handle full output from the amp so you have to throw away a big portion of the speakers systems potential SPL to keep power levels within a range that the tweeter can handle, that applies with both passive and active crossovers the only difference is how it is accomplished.

The two woofers are Peerless HDS-P830869's and the Tweeter is a Peerless DX25BG60-04.
I built a two-way using the 830869 and a VIFA tweeter but only one woofer.

I thought they were fairly good, until I converted one to active, much better. I then converted the second to a three-way active using a 5" mid (SB Acoustics) and better again.

Now, as my signatute shows, another bigger box with a bigger woof. The 830869 does punch above its weight though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.