Parts worth harvesting from Sony TA FE-370?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks

I have a Sony TA FE-370 amp that produces distorted sound, it's been giving trouble for some time, refusing to switch sources properly and was never a great sounding piece of kit, the cheap Cambridge Audio amp that replaced it was a big leap in SQ.

So the Sony is going in the bin, but before it does, I wondered if there were any parts worth harvesting for use in future DIY projects, other than the toroidal transformer, that is a no-brainer.

BTW, if anyone wants any parts from this Sony, I'd be happy to try to remove them and let you have them free, just pay postage (I'm in the UK).

Hi Ian,

From the photos I have, it is not a toroidal transformer. But, it is a good transformer anyway.
I would also harvest the heatsink, the relays, the two big decoupling capacitors and the bridge rectifier. Personally, I would also keep the power amplifier module (thick-film) in case you one day like another small DIY project.

I know, other find I'm silly and the parts-sellers that I'm directly counter-productive. My point is, one day someone suggests you to do an experiment where you need exactly such an item. Then, you do not need to order and pay for (at least) one, pay for delivery, wait for delivery etc.

Last edited:
After pulling the thing apart, I've harvested the transformer, the rest of it looks pretty cheap low end stuff. There are two big electrolytic caps, but they don't look to be high quality ones, I can't see any maker's name on them. I hoped the power supply would be worth harvesting, but it looks really not worth it, a very sparse PCB with some distinctly cheap looking components on it.

Oh well, it was never a very good sounding amp, and at least I have salvaged a fairly good transformer for future projects.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.