Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Realistic LM3886 transformer requirement (120VA for 40-50W max?)
Realistic LM3886 transformer requirement (120VA for 40-50W max?)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2018, 10:17 PM   #11
lost eden is offline lost eden  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00940 View Post
You've got more than enough transformer on hand. The calculator sheet is at the bottom of that page: LM3886 chip power amplifier power supply design. The section on crest factor is well worth reading.
Thanks, I'll give that a look. I'm familiar with the impact of crest factor from working a lot in the past with pro audio/PA gear, where in the last decade or so there has been a big shift from transformer based amps with power outputs specified using band-limited pink noise, to SMPS based amps with comparatively exaggerated power outputs specified assuming program material with a 6dB crest factor... even though the compression of popular music mastering these days means that it has substantially less crest factor than it used to!
Old 15th June 2018, 12:07 PM   #12
anti is offline anti  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Funny thing is that squashed (low crest fact.) audio will be easier on classic PSU (trafo based) when the playback volume is low, but much heavier when playback is loud (rails will sag a lot more compared to higher crest fac. audio).

I built myself small amps to "model" that situation when I was doing multimedia audio (which naturally had very low crest ... and some years before this became a norm in mainstream audio).

Realistic LM3886 transformer requirement (120VA for 40-50W max?)Hide this!Advertise here!