I'm going to be diving in, first time

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello folks. I've been lurking for a while and am getting myself psyched up for my first amp project. I have been doing diy speakers and subwoofers for several years. I intend to do a simple diy speaker build with my 4 year old daughter and will be needing some amplification so I figured why not go the diy route. I have not decided on which chip to use yet,, I'm wide open to suggestions, a kit would be convenient but a pcb with good documentation will be fine. It seems like there are tons of resources and threads for the various chips available. I'm looking forward to getting into a new diy hobby

Welcome to DIY,

We are here to give you advise if you like and your daughter can assist in making sure our advises are properly followed.:p
Anyway, if the kids have to start at the age of four to become top golf or tennis players, why not in DIY electronics.

For us to give you best advise, it would be useful to know:
1) The intended output power of the amplifier (and speaker specifications - 4/8 Ohm)?
2) The budget you are prepared to be spend on the project?
3) If you have any preferences for a power supply?
4) If you have preferences for class AB or D?
5) The use of the speaker and amplifier (in your daughters room? In your living room? Portable?)?
6) The source of music for the amplifier?

Thanks for the response.
The speakers I'll build will be a simple kit,, overnight sensations or tri trix vented ,, I've built several of the tri trix and I'm leaning towards them simply for the better low end.,,both options are 8 ohm and if I could get 50wpc I'd be satisfied.

The "system" will likely end up in our family room which is pretty much the majority play room.
For this first endeavor I'll like to keep my budget low,, $100-$200ish,, going beyond that wouldn't scare me away.
I have no class preference at this time.
Audio source will likely be some sort of mp3 player,, also an iPad.
I also Don't have a preference for the power supply.
I have been an electrician for 19 years so I am completely comfortable working with line/mains voltage.

Absolutely doable. Both Class AB and D.

Does the amplifier go in one of the speaker cabinets? A mono amplifier in each speaker cabinet? The amplifier as stereo amplifier in a separate cabinet?

The cabinet may be the most expensive.

I will give you a few suggestions, other are likely to follow up with their suggestions:

Class AB:
A LM3886 based amplifier board. A very popular chip on this forum.
A TDA7294 based amplifier. Cheaper than the LM3886 but still very good quality.

Class D:
A TPA325x based board. Very good sound and available in different versions for different output power. Particularly popular on this forum.
TDA7498E. Value for money and very good performance.
TK2050 from legendary Tripath. Super sound but some heating issues for certain boards.

You have to assume the power supply to cost about the same as the amplifier (stereo). Amplifiers use a single supply voltage or dual (symmetrical) voltages. A single supply voltage is the easiest. Both my class AB suggestions use dual voltages for supply, all three class D suggestions only a single supply voltage.

An MP3 player and an IPad may source the power amplifier directly. Else, you need only a simple pre-amplifier. NE5532 as a minimum.

I am convinced other forum members will soon provide suggestions.

Last edited:
Amplifier in its own cabinet.
So far, the lm3886 is what I've read about the most,, seems to be a ton of comprehensive info out there on it,, which is what compelled me to create this post,, I assume that the diy amp world is full of rabbit holes just as the diy speaker world. I appreciate the suggestions and I'll be looking into each one.

I'm gonna go with the lm3886,, x2 for stereo output . Aiming for 50ish watts per channel,,
Power supply 30ish volt, 250va minimum. I got my power supply rating from reading from the circuit basics website article about the lm3886 build.
Questions
Toroidal vs center tap transformer? Toroidal seems to be preferred but why?

Is there a respectable kit available? There are several kits on the web, but I'm also reading about some pcb/kits for the lm3886 that are of poor quality/possible knock offs.
If there aren't any reputable kits I'd appreciate a suggestion for a rock solid pcb.

I will be wanting to go with some sort of pre amp,, just seems like a good idea. I've only looked at the NE5532 as suggested,, but am open to more options,, again,, if a respectable kit/pcb were available I'd love to diy this as well.

The rectifier filter is my next item to research, so far all I know is that there are a few kits that include it. Again,, kit/pcb suggestions appreciated.

I'm in no hurry on this project,, I'm a complete novice in this but intend to learn as I go.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
If you want an amp that supports both 4Ω and 8Ω speakers well, I suggest staying at ±28-30 V supply voltage. That'll give you 40W/8Ω and 65W/8Ω. If you want more power than that, you'll want two LM3886es in parallel, which sound simple but opens up a whole new can of worms.

You can read about the amount of output power you can expect from various combinations of the LM3886 here: LM3886 Output Power

In general, I suggest that you read through my Taming the LM3886 series: Taming the LM3886 Chip Amplifier
That'll give you an idea of what you're up against. It doesn't have to be complicated, but at least I prefer to have a rudimentary understanding of the topic before embarking on a build.

The LM3886 is a nice chip. It's pretty bullet-proof and can be made to sing if you treat it well.

Tom

Don - what Tom didn't say is that he offers a couple of excellent sounding kits based on the 3886 - I've heard both the basic (LM3886Done Right), and the Modulus 86. Not the lowest cost kits around, but you pays for the experience and engineering it takes to make them sing. His power supply and new soft-start and protection modules get rid of a lot of the learning curve - something that gentlemen of a certain age certainly appreciate.

The 686 looks to be a very interesting beast, indeed.

Solid State Power Amplifiers & Power Supplies | Neurochrome :: Audio

Last edited:
Hello folks. I've been lurking for a while and am getting myself psyched up for my first amp project....... I'm looking forward to getting into a new diy hobby

Hi Rockironwebb,

Turn your back and leave this hobby. Years ago i got myself psyched up to tweak amps etc.. and before you know it.. i was a few amp boards in. Then it was cleaner power, then its more orders from component resellers etc. Maybe its time for a "special build", maybe another pre etc. Don't do it man. :D

On a more sober note.
The TDA7297 is reasonably cost effective. If you dont need a whole heap of power it can sound quite nice. Single rail too.

Imagine, there are people who are collecting stamps ... brrrr.
Even desoldering & recycling electrolytic capacitors has its thrill (as long as you're wearing nothing but underwear). This wakens the same instincts and brings the same adrenaline rush as if you were in 10000 B.C. eye in eye with a sabertooth ... :D.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.