Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Battery powered Mono Amp reccomendation?
Battery powered Mono Amp reccomendation?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2018, 08:41 PM   #1
petervh is offline petervh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Battery powered Mono Amp reccomendation?

Hello,

I am looking to find a small chip amp board that can be powered by a not-so-large battery pack, and can drive a midrange compression driver.

The compression driver will likely be a 40W 16 ohm unit:

http://www.newark.com/mcm/54-050/com...rms/dp/39C0599

Alternatively I may use this 150W 8 ohm driver:

Selenium D250-X GW 1" Phenolic Horn Driver 1-3/8"-18 TPI

The 150W 8ohm driver I have already tested on smallish stereo chip amps like the Dayton DTA-1 and a HifimeDIY T2. . . the T2 was probably pushing around 40W and I was getting a decent enough response for my purpose.

The battery I will use will need to be mounted along with the compression driver & amplifier on the body of a dancer. . . so it can't be too excessively large. I will need to get ~2hrs of charge before the battery needs to be recharged.

Can anyone recommend a low power monophonic amplifier board that would suit this purpose? Anything under $100USD should be fine. To be clear, I am not looking for super high fidelity. The compression driver has limited frequency response (100hz-8khz), and will only be outputting (processed) voice signals. That said, I require a reliable product.

I was thinking perhaps this Sure "100w TPA3116" might be okay. It claims 100W @ 2ohms. I have no idea what that would be @ 16ohms---maybe around 35-40W?

Sure Electronics' webstore 1 x 100 Watt Class D Audio Amplifier Board -TPA3116

If you have any suggestions on suitable battery packs, I would be interested in that too.

Many thanks for any help !
Old 24th May 2018, 03:14 AM   #2
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

100W@ 2 Ohms may be 13 Watts @ 16 Ohms.

You do not mention a horn. Without a horn a compression driver is a cripple. Yes, I have got residential levels out of a much larger driver naked, but that little 1" won't have much below 2KHz.

When size/weight is a limit, a simple cone speaker is usually a better fit.

With a horn, 40 Watts for 2 hours will be permanent hearing damage. (Though I shudder to think of the body damage, dancing 2 hours with a worthwhile horn strap-on.)

Generally, battery life depends on a GOOD estimate of the maximum power truly needed. With class AB amps this is essential, because their efficiency falls-off so very rapidly below max output. With class D the tradeoff is not so severe, but you still do not want to carry excess power/energy.

If the dance is all in one room, you can do much with a 1W on the nominal source, and a 100W amp off-stage delayed 30mS. Your ear goes to the First Arrival, not the loudest source, over a significant range of arrival times and power levels.
Old 24th May 2018, 02:26 PM   #3
petervh is offline petervh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
100W@ 2 Ohms may be 13 Watts @ 16 Ohms.

You do not mention a horn. . .

Thanks for your comments!

Do you know what the rough calculation is to determine how many watts an amp rated for 100W @ 2ohms will provide at 16ohms? If I want to reach up to 40W peak @ 16 ohms. . .what mono amp should I be looking for? It seems Sure rates everything @ 2ohm or 3ohm. . . maybe a 300W @ 3ohm amp would work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
You do not mention a horn. . .

Yes I was not very specific. I am building a kind of body mounted talkbox. . . so the driver outputs to a plastic tube which passes to the performers mouth, and transforms the mouth into a horn. Source signals are strictly processed voice. . . so a frequency response from ~400hz->3khz is workable in this case.

I have tried sticking actual speakers (piezoelectric) in the mouth to achieve a similar effect, but the only speaker I could fit into the dancer's mouth without causing a great deal of discomfort is decidedly too quiet for my purpose.

The amp/battery/driver need to be body mounted because the performance unfolds across multiple rooms (& separate spaces in a city).

Thanks !
pvh

Last edited by petervh; 24th May 2018 at 02:41 PM.

Battery powered Mono Amp reccomendation?Hide this!Advertise here!