5xLM3886 on one PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
20180509_220530.jpg 20180509_220432.jpg
As the network is hard to find a 5xLM3886 chip on one PCB, and I will add that I did not succeed, I just did it.
I think that this system does not need to be described. The system is tested, it sounds very good, but the radiator is too small and I need to cool it with air. After adding the right size heatsink will be grand

Download files project in Eagle
View attachment 5xLM3886.zip

Last edited:
If that heatsink is getting hot check to make sure one of the chips aren't oscillating. That should be plenty of heatsink for home use.

There are power supply hf and lf for each chip (bonus) but they look like they are coming from the right instead of the left ;
to keep the track inductance low (see TOMCHR).
This could lead to osc which is causing your heat problem.

Last edited:
It looks like you missed the local decoupling caps on the LM3886es. They'll need at least 470 uF per rail of bulk cap plus 10uF||100nF located as close to the IC pins as you can.

See here for more detail:
LM3886 chip amp supply decoupling.

I doubt the heat sink is enough for even the "home theatre test" of running all channels at 1/8 the rated output power. You may want to fit the heat sink with a thermal switch that turns the amp off when the heat sink reaches a set temperature. Of course, the LM3886es have their own thermal cutoff as well.

Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.