rotel rb-2000 help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have a rotel rb-2000 power amp that is fully working but on the right side VU meter the needle that moves (not mechanically) just does not move. It's been looked at and all that can be done is to replace the whole VU meter or have the needle made from scratch.

Where would I go to - to have this made for me? It's making me feel crazy...

Joined 2011
this was tested on the other channel and the good meter tested on the
non working side and it was working all ok.

If you have ruled out the rest of the circuit and the meter is bad,
you may be able to get a replacement from someone parting out.
If you're really lucky, that model of meter may be still made,
though you'd have to install your scale inside it. Check ebay.

Hey rayma, Ive had a long look on ebay, waited for all this time and zilch has turned up.
I took it to a tech guy and he said it's only the needle inside the VU meter that has gone bad and that to find a company that can literally make a identical needle then it will be ok again.
However I can not find no-one...

Joined 2011
he said it's only the needle inside the VU meter that has gone bad

Ok, to check the ''bad'' meter and be sure, use a 1.5V battery and a 30k resistor.
Connect the battery negative to the meter negative. Connect the battery positive
to the 30k, and the other lead of the 30k to the meter positive.
If the meter is ok, the needle will go to about full scale on the meter.
This assumes it is a standard 50uA full scale meter.

Joined 2011
Ok, but I think the tech guy did that and it did not move, I'll double check. if it didn't,
is it the needle that is faulty? He said it's all to do with magnetics inside of it.

If it is "frozen" there's a mechanical fault. If it moves when you shake the case,
the coil could be open, or have a bad connection. If the needle deflects to full scale
when fed by 50uA of current, it's good. The magnetics are not likely to be at fault.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.