TCA940 vintage IC:distortion please look!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Message for Anti:
hi Anti,
in these days while I was studying all the TCA940 family, I've discovered a sort of equivalent of the TBA810P for the TCA940: it's the TCA940N

Just for curiosity, take a look at this improved version of our "beloved"TCA940:

file:///C:/Users/Asus/Downloads/TCA940N-SGS%20(7).pdf
it can handle up to 28 volt instead of 24 volt of the normal version.

That said, could I ask you a personal curiosity: when you were more younger and you "play" with the TCA940, did you use a ceramic cartridge or a magnetic one? and what type of speakers you used with?
;)
Thank you in advance for these personal curiosities!:)
Regards!

The chip package has a hard time dissipating heat. I don't think that running at 28V into 4 Ohm speaker is a good idea ... for any longevity (probably marketing or designed for 8/6 Ohm). There was a TBA800 designed for TVs and 16 Ohm that could work at 30V or so and perhaps the designers drew some inspiration there... If you follow my recommended component values, you will achieve better perceived output at lower voltage. I wouldn't go above 22V, but you can as well try.

I used it with bookshelf speakers 4 Ohm (IIRC). Ceramic and magnetic cartridge.

Hi my friend Anti!:)
Don't worry, as I already said, I will follow all your advice.
I'm very curious, Anti: What type of speakers are the "IIRC"?...and please, be patient, I'm a so curious about the models and brands of the ceramic and magnetic cartridges you used...moreover I'm a huge fan of the ceramic cartridges, even if many people don't love them.
However I can confirm that there're some ceramic cartridges very well-sounding: for example the great BSR SC12 and the transcription cartridge DECCA DERAM...they track at just 2.5 gr and both sound like a good magnetic sound.
This is what my personal opinion about this type of cartidges.
Thank for the interesting conversation and as always thank you for your support;)
Regards

Hi guys!
I've a question: if you see this video, you can see a voltage value in the multimeter display:
YouTube
is that voltage value the power that the amp circuit board is absorbing from the
transformer?
Anyway, it doesn't sound so badly: the problem are those horrible little speakers: I've discovered that they're simple little surrond speakers of a Sony subwoofer sistem with very low efficiency (about 84 dB).
Thank you;)
Best regards:);)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.