Newbie in DIY, system match questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

My system today consist of a Chord Hugo2 dac/pre (3V max out and 0.025ohm), the power amp section of the Creek Evolution 2 (2*75W into 8ohm) and Salk Songtowers speakers (6 ohm and 89db).

I am thinking of replacing the Creek Evo 2 because I think it is a waste to not use the integrate and very decent headphone amp, so I think it is best to sell it to someone who will enjoy it all.

I had been thinking of DIY for a long time and am now ready to dip. Everyone seems to suggest LM3875 for a first. I have my eyes on the Audiosector Premium kit.

Would that be a good match ? Will it be as good or better than the Creek ?
Are there other amps that I should look into ?

Thank you

First, find out if that 6ohms rating really means 6ohms.
Or does it mean a 4ohms Bass/Mid driver crossing over to an 8ohms Treble driver.
If the latter, 4 to 8ohms, then your amplifier must be rated to drive a reactive 4ohms speaker, not for an 8ohms speaker rating.

The two woofer are seas 15r, nominal impedance 8ohm, voice coil resistance 5.6 ohm. The ribbon aluminum Twitter, no idea but just realized that the Salk website indicate 4ohm minimum, 6 average.
So I guess I need to look for 4ohm rating, then the gainclone might be too light, no ?

Thanks

I am not sure how to do this. My actual amp is rated 110w rms into 4ohm. I have never felt like I needed more power in my room with this setup. Isn't it enough to look for something that will give at least 100w into 4ohm ?
Actually, I have been using the integrated amp before with a simplier DAC, te volume scale goes from 0 to 80 and I usually had it around 20-25, rarely gone to 35, never above. So maybe 100W into 4ohm is already an overkill.

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer, really appreciate it.

So if I understand correctly a gainclone will not have enough power. I have seen the Pass F5T which could deliver 100w in 4ohm but is clearly written NOT FOR BEGINNERS (and my heat my room as much as the speakers), or go the Class D route which I have never listen to, and then between ClassDaudio CDC-250 or Icepower ASX125 or the Hypex Ucd180HG, I have no clue what to go to, oh and there is also the connex ones.
I am curious about the Naim NAP180 (75W into 4ohm) clone kits on ebay but the price is too good to be true. I might do the last one just for fun though. Nowhere to go to listen to them and not enough money to try them all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.