Chassis ground continuity? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2004, 09:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Chassis ground continuity?

I'm building my BrianGT clone in this
case (it's a flat packed 19" rack mount self assembly thing).

After assembling the enclosure last night, I decided to do a continuity check across the panels and rails, to check my earthing requirements. It seems as if the the screws that are supplied (not sure what they're called but they are the black coated ones) are insulating, and therefor I am unsure what I'll need to do in the way of mains earthing.

Will I be safe with just the bottom panel tied to mains earth, or do I need to electrically link each panel together?

Steve
Old 6th April 2004, 09:41 PM   #2
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

I think the whole thing should have continuity. I suggest using a wire brush on the threads. Also be aware that surfaces that have been anodized will not have good continuity so you may want to brush or sand any two surfaces that come in contavt with each other. It's possible that others are not so concerned with this but if it were me I would want to know that anything I might touch (especially) the exterior is well earthed.
Old 7th April 2004, 03:07 AM   #3
ir is offline ir  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to ir
it will be safe. but it won't be good for sheilding. although interference is rarely a problem, ideally your amplifier should be completely sheilded.

otherwise you can get weird effects like on an amp i made once, whever i touched the top metal case the amp buzzed. reason being it wasn't electrically connected to the grounded case it was covering so was acting like a capacitor
Old 7th April 2004, 07:15 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've worried about his myself. I've used these same cases on numerous amps and have never had a noticeable problem.

I do remove the coating around the earth bolt (important I think) and on the side panels where the horizontal bars screw in.

I found the 2U case easily big enough of a gainclone.
Old 8th April 2004, 03:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ok, it looks like I"d better clean off some the paint and anodising,

It needs to be a good shield, as I'm really close the local tv / radio transmitter.

Steve

Hide this!Advertise here!