tk2050 class T ? System upgrade from LM1875?

system upgrade from LM1875

• Stay with LM1875?

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • upgrade to TK2050?

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Many boards sold as TK2050 (should be the TC2000/TP2050 combination) are actually using TC2001 from Tripath and STA505/508 from STMicroelectronics. I have such a board and it just sounds fine in my subjective opinion. A problem with the boards sold as TK2050 is heating and you may have to improve the initial cooling.
Tests of the TC2001/ST508 combination can be found on the net.
Some serious manufacturers use that combination.

I have not tested this TK2050 board against the LM1875.

I bought a TK2050 board from sure some years ago and used it with a 12v SMPS power supply to good effect. I then put it away and forgot about it. I have recently made a linear supply for it feeding it a very stiff rectifier board (60,000uf) giving 38vdc (the max dc volts the chip can take is 40v - I like living dangerously) and it sounds great. It did come with a fan on the small heatsink that ran all the time, so I removed that immediately. I have beefed up the heatsinking considerably, but it runs very cool, it is barely warm after a couple of hours.

I built a dual mono TDA2030 (LM1875) which is a very sweet little amp I like a lot, but this is IMO in a different league, Class D with balls.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.