transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to build myself a 2 channel gainclone amp since the amp i was using for my computer just blew and the only part i dont understand is the transformer i dont understand which one to get and what the differences are?

I also would like to know how to add a volume knob?
And also how many watts they could put out?

Sources for info about GCs

Take a look here for some great info.

http://www.decdun.fsnet.co.uk/gaincloneindex.html

Also do a google on "gainclone" & you'll get about 6-10 hits that should get you going.

There is info on the tanny at most sites. Also look at the thread "Gainclone Cool Stuff/Treasure Hunt" thread. There is a lot of information about different types of trannies & how to hook them up. If you haven't built much before you may want to consider BrianGT's second group buy--Brian made some really nice PCBs that should help make it easy. I believe that he'll post on it sometime this month when he's ready.

With regard to the volume control--there are a lot of ways to control volume. The easiest way is to use a dual audio potentiometer to control the input to the amp. There are lots more complicated & better sounding ways (and more expensive). I believe that you could also just use your computer's volume control and not even have a knob on the amp. The power is, I believe, about 40-50 watts per channel and depending on tranny.

Cheers,
Bret Morrow

does this look like an ok transformer. (i got it from an old tape deck)

Wat voltage do i have to measure to check if its ok?
and why are there 6 wires coming out?

Attachments

• dsc02188.jpg
    dsc02188.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 284
this was attached to the wall outlet to me it looks like a switch, a fuse and on the other side there is a dial that says

,,,,,,,,off
220---|----120
,,,,,,,,Off

( i just use commas to space it out)

i pluged the tape deck in before i took the transformer out and it worked so im not going to move the dial.

should i keep this intact so i already have a switch and a fuse

Attachments

• dsc02192.jpg
    dsc02192.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 275
Dude...

Dude,

I think that you need to get a lot of knowledge before you build from salvaged bits. Electricity is dangerous, really, I'm not kidding. Now, the switch you are talking about looks sounds like 1 of those switches you'd use to change from 120 V to 220 V from the wall. I have no idea about the tranny--its a bit hard to guess what it is, but I highly doubt that a tranformer from a tape deck could power an amp--generally tape decks don't use that kind of power!

I'd grab a book on electronics from the library & have a good read before doing anything.

Cheers,
Bret Morrow

Like Jazzzspazzz says, if you are new to this game don't make things harder by trying to use used parts if you don't know exactly what they are! ;)

As a rule, power amplifiers have larger (ie higher VA) ratings than other pieces of hi-fi kit like CD players, preamps and tape decks which all require less power.

So if you must save money on a transformer, you will have to look in an old power amp and even then you must be sure that you know what the spec is.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.