Diy amp to power tempest subwoofer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2004, 09:45 AM   #1
postman is offline postman  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to postman
Default Diy amp to power tempest subwoofer

Hey all ive been around this site for a fair while now, but have mainly visited the loudspeaker section

Are theyre any diy amp around that would be suitable for running 1-2 tempests ? Id be looking at around 800rms each tempest (mainly for headroom and expandability), the only amp ive ever built is a gainclone, which was very simple, so im hoping that any designs people may have would be about the same skill level, or a little higher.

If possible could you also recommend a subwoofer crossover (Having a phase control between 0-180 degrees would be handy too).

I live in australia, and exotic parts seem to cost a heap more here that in the us, so keeping the cost down is very important to me.

Thanks
Old 30th March 2004, 12:08 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

hmm, i don't think there are any chips that can put out 800W. you could try the LM4651/4652 200W class D sub amp. I'm not sure but you might be able to bridge it to 400W???
Old 30th March 2004, 12:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yep i didnt think there would be any single chip that could put out that much, so i was hoping that someone may have a good design for a multiple chip amp
Old 30th March 2004, 12:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

you could bridge parallel chips, something like 2 sets of 4 or 5 chips paralleled and then bridged...
Old 30th March 2004, 01:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Should i just be using the reference design lm4651, and then add on my crossover etc ?
Old 30th March 2004, 02:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Are you sure you need 800W? Why, what's the application?
Old 30th March 2004, 03:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Theyre going to be used for music + ht use. Im going to upgrade my subs to some more power hungry ones in the future, so i may aswell build an amp now that can power them and save having to build a new set of amps.
Old 30th March 2004, 03:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by postman
Theyre going to be used for music + ht use. Im going to upgrade my subs to some more power hungry ones in the future, so i may aswell build an amp now that can power them and save having to build a new set of amps.
Well, I still question whether you need that much power, as my single Tempest with 250W amp in a sealed enclosure can rattle the joists quite well, thank you very much, but if you say you want it/need it, you have limited choices in terms of completed designs in DIY. You can pursue something like a BPA200 design bridge+parallel (especially like the one BrianGT is building with 6 chips), 1 for each voice coil, or a couple of Rod Elliot's sub amps, 1 per voice coil.

Hide this!Advertise here!