Diy amp to power tempest subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all ive been around this site for a fair while now, but have mainly visited the loudspeaker section :bawling:

Are theyre any diy amp around that would be suitable for running 1-2 tempests ? Id be looking at around 800rms each tempest (mainly for headroom and expandability), the only amp ive ever built is a gainclone, which was very simple, so im hoping that any designs people may have would be about the same skill level, or a little higher.

If possible could you also recommend a subwoofer crossover (Having a phase control between 0-180 degrees would be handy too).

I live in australia, and exotic parts seem to cost a heap more here that in the us, so keeping the cost down is very important to me.

postman said:
Theyre going to be used for music + ht use. Im going to upgrade my subs to some more power hungry ones in the future, so i may aswell build an amp now that can power them and save having to build a new set of amps.

Well, I still question whether you need that much power, as my single Tempest with 250W amp in a sealed enclosure can rattle the joists quite well, thank you very much, but if you say you want it/need it, you have limited choices in terms of completed designs in DIY. You can pursue something like a BPA200 design bridge+parallel (especially like the one BrianGT is building with 6 chips), 1 for each voice coil, or a couple of Rod Elliot's sub amps, 1 per voice coil.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.