single supply for lm3886

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can someone explain how a single supply works?
I want to build an amp using lm3886s, but my ps is +/- 50v. I want to use +50v and 0v to power the amp. I've looked at the schematic, but I still don't get how it works. One side of the speaker coil is connected to gnd, but what goes into the other side of the coil? +50v from the amp? That will only move the speaker one way.
Will a single supply move the speaker both ways?

First check the datasheet of the LM3886 carefully.

How it works?

The input signal is lifted up to (in your case) 25 volts. This means you will get 25 V out when you have no signal. When you apply signal the out will swing around 25 volts. This 25 V DC is filter out by a large electrolytic cap, 4700-10000 uF. Your speaker is connected with this huge capacitor is series and then connected down to ground.

Just check page 6 in the datasheet.

xplod1236 said:
Would bridging 2 lm3886s both running off a single supply work the same way as if they were running off a +/- supply?

If you bridge 2 LM3886's built single-supply per the datasheet schematic, you need a phase splitter in front of them since both chips will be non-inverting. Something like a DRV134 will do the job of buffering and phase splitting before the LM3886 stage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.