Turning a dead Class-A into a GC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Other than bigparsnip, you folks have been much less than helpful. I say go for it. I'm currently thinking about changing an old Class AB to a Class A. Why not?
Nuuk's suggestion is a good one, if you haven't built much before. Maybe try a bare-bones, open-frame gainclone first, you could even power it from the SAE amp power supply. Then build the real one and go nuts.:crazy:

The trafo looks good, but I would at least replace the capacitors, even if its just regular Nichicon caps. Since the those look a little old.

mikejz84 said:
I would use the amp to drive my NHT VT-2s, they are power ******. I Bi-amp them right now 75watts for the highs and 100watts for the lows, and still that is just enought.

Man I thought Magnepans were some of the worst, and I've pushed mine with a 35 watt Monarchy Audio Class A amp. I've never clipped that thing. Thats why I'm under the impression that you just dont need a ton of power.

Attachments

• monarchy.jpg
    monarchy.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 263
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.