My Subwoofer Plate Amp - Comments?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everybody,

I just finished my subwoofer plate amp based on the LM3886TF chip. It is all done except for the crossover which I am working on now.

What does everybody think?

Heres a picture of the box

Attachments

• p1000256.jpg
    p1000256.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 767
Thanks everybody!!!

Its actually an 8" only. The sound is pretty good, but since I don't have the crossover done, I just have it connected to the headphone of my stereo. I do find it a little thuddy sounding though, like its responding to the higher frequency bass notes better than the deep notes. I am still playing around with port size and stuff.

Maybe just adding a crossover and blocking those high frequencies will help it. Other than that it hits pretty hard.

About the Linkwitz crossover, I am trying to build a variable with an lm837 chip. but I will look into the linkwitz.

And unitgain, I am working on one of those too, but not for this.

thanks again for the comments!
-Mike

Listening Report

It sounds great. Especialy with only an 8" speaker. It really adds some punch to music, and haven't tried it with a movie yet since the stereo i have it connected to doesn't have a dvd player.

And i don't even have a good crossover on it yet, just a temporary resistor/capacitor filter.

Right now, the amp rattles a lot, so I have to open it up and tighten everything in it.

Finally, it has been running just listening to the radio for a little over an hour and the heatsink isn't that hot nor is any protection things turning on.

I found that the best sound quality is achieved with a 4" long piece of 2" PVC as a port and an open 2" hole in the case. With two 4" ports, the sound is deeper and tighter, but the volume is cut in about half. With just one PVC port, it made a whistling sound.

Thanks again for all of the nice comments!!

-Mike

Re: Listening Report

First of all, nice work :)

soundNERD said:
Finally, it has been running just listening to the radio for a little over an hour and the heatsink isn't that hot nor is any protection things turning on.

Keep an eye on this. I personally would have drilled a hole through the plate and bolted the chip directly to the heatsink, rather than made a chip-plate-heatsink sandwich. Anyway, as you use the amp more and more, it will become obvious if you have enough heat transfer without needing to investigate.

Enjoy :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.