Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2004, 02:24 AM   #1
speaker is offline speaker  United States
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb New Forum Idea / Mechanical Construction Techniques

I posed the following new forum idea to one of the moderators and he suggested I throw it out for consideration by the community. I would take that if there is suitable interest in this forum, it may be created. If you like or dislike this concept, please make your thoughts known.

Here goes -

Many of the GC's here (as well as SS & tube amplifiers on the other forums) are housed in exceptionally crafted enclosures of wood, metal, plastic and other materials in addition to being housed in more conventional, ready-made ones. In any case, from scratch built to purchased, packaging the final amplifier design into a case requires much hand fabrication and final finishing. Everything from measurement, metal cutting, drill layout, resonance control, painting, and so on must be dealt with by the builder with the resources they have access to. You acquire these skills from experience. If you are new to the whole thing, that can sometimes be intimidating to the point of not knowing where to start.

Therefore -

Would it be valuable to DIYaudio community members to have a dedicated mechanical construction forum? Building techniques & processes can be shared as well as offer a help to new & experienced builders when they encounter a materials or construction issue. Ideas on new enclosure types can be proposed and material merits can be discussed. Sources for ready-made enclosures mentioned and reviews of same posted.

How say you?

Yea or Nay?

speaker
Old 27th March 2004, 02:31 AM   #2
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Its sure a good idea. You see a lot of bad examples of people spending huge effort, just to end up with something that resembles something the cat brought in.

Magura
Old 27th March 2004, 04:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ditto.
Old 27th March 2004, 05:29 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

1) machine tool techniques
2) hand tool techniques
3) materials and fastening
4) over-coatings and laminates

Wow, it sounds a lot like diyenclosures.com!

:)ensen.
Old 27th March 2004, 06:29 AM   #5
pete.a is offline pete.a  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Spin

what an excellent idea, but didn't the fabrication master Mr Daniel start a similar thread on tools, to which i found very helpfull.

I think that guy's forgoten more than i'll ever know...wished he was my neighbour...
Old 27th March 2004, 07:23 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

This is true, I find many of the good enclosure threads are under Solid State, but rarely do I venture over there.

I think it would be an excellent forum, because as you said, poeple might spend a couple days getting the inards together, but might spend a month making the outside look good.

Shame on you, you tricked me, there is no diyenclosures.com

Of course this could lend to anything, not just amplifiers. Equipment racks, speakers, painting, whatever!
Old 28th March 2004, 05:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

yep, I think this would be good for us all as well, as it is the part of the project that I find hardest to start, or finish and would love to see more ideas and tips on how I could procede.
Old 28th March 2004, 05:40 PM   #8
fcel is offline fcel  United States
diyAudio Member

Everything that you would want to know about building chassis but were afraid to ask .... Useful tools and techniques
Old 28th March 2004, 05:43 PM   #9
indoubt is offline indoubt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The Guts and Glory

Where the tech forums are all about the guts and the glory is to increase the WAF and secure future funding.

I like the idea, apart from obtaining one of Peter's cases I 'm in the process of designing one from Carrera marmor with all the guts in a bracket which can slide into the marmor case. A separate section for construction can help a lot of the newbies and be a place to exchange ideas for the more swift builders
Old 28th March 2004, 06:12 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to koolscooby
Great idea, he is right, i am a n00b and have no idea where to start on chassis design! Thanks for the suggestion to the mods

Hide this!Advertise here!