New Forum Idea / Mechanical Construction Techniques

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I posed the following new forum idea to one of the moderators and he suggested I throw it out for consideration by the community. I would take that if there is suitable interest in this forum, it may be created. If you like or dislike this concept, please make your thoughts known.

Here goes -

Many of the GC's here (as well as SS & tube amplifiers on the other forums) are housed in exceptionally crafted enclosures of wood, metal, plastic and other materials in addition to being housed in more conventional, ready-made ones. In any case, from scratch built to purchased, packaging the final amplifier design into a case requires much hand fabrication and final finishing. Everything from measurement, metal cutting, drill layout, resonance control, painting, and so on must be dealt with by the builder with the resources they have access to. You acquire these skills from experience. If you are new to the whole thing, that can sometimes be intimidating to the point of not knowing where to start.

Therefore -

Would it be valuable to DIYaudio community members to have a dedicated mechanical construction forum? Building techniques & processes can be shared as well as offer a help to new & experienced builders when they encounter a materials or construction issue. Ideas on new enclosure types can be proposed and material merits can be discussed. Sources for ready-made enclosures mentioned and reviews of same posted.

How say you?

Yea or Nay?

speaker

This is true, I find many of the good enclosure threads are under Solid State, but rarely do I venture over there.

I think it would be an excellent forum, because as you said, poeple might spend a couple days getting the inards together, but might spend a month making the outside look good.

Shame on you, you tricked me, there is no diyenclosures.com

Of course this could lend to anything, not just amplifiers. Equipment racks, speakers, painting, whatever!

The Guts and Glory:D

Where the tech forums are all about the guts and the glory is to increase the WAF and secure future funding.

I like the idea, apart from obtaining one of Peter's cases I 'm in the process of designing one from Carrera marmor with all the guts in a bracket which can slide into the marmor case. A separate section for construction can help a lot of the newbies and be a place to exchange ideas for the more swift builders

I am having trouble with the drill layout now. It is painful when u don't have enough tools to make measurement, and a steady marking on the materials. After that you may make a 2mm wrong holes and miss up the whole chassis.....:(

I'm stll thinking how to make the enclose stay in shape while I don't have any screws yet. I just have one clamp...... and that is too short for the length, and the top aluminum plate must have a gap between the enclose..... Complacated...... (It looks like the Mono block in AMP-2.)

There are a few ongoing threads about it already (Ive seen you post frequently in at least one of them), the problem is that the threads become too long, wich makes it impossible to get the information and answers you need from them. Any thread with more than 100 posts is usually like a black hole if you search for something, since the search function dosnt tell wich post its in, just that its found in the thread.

Lots of people here have big need for such information and the information available is of limited value, since its impossible to find your way around.

Magura:)

Actually, the part about "black hole" threads is rather annoying. It should be possible to patch the software to do that properly.

Anyway, as long as we're on the topic of new conferences.. how about one for acoustics (wave propagation, etc.), and one for listening rooms (active absorbents, helmholtz resonators, etc.) ?

I guess the two could be a single group..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.