Newbie LM3886 Circuit Newbie LM3886 Circuit - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Newbie LM3886 Circuit
Newbie LM3886 Circuit
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 01:01 PM   #61
simonra is offline simonra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Here's the updated layout; I've added R8, R4(Rf2) & C5(Cf). The way it is at the moment I've got a pretty long loop (SPKR+ -> R4 -> C5 -> Vin-).

If that looks like it'll be a problem I'll have to shuffle a lot of the components about to find room. I'm thinking of moving the speaker out connector to the top of the board and taking HBR with it. Perhaps also moving C6 down to the bottom right so I can snug C7 up against C8 - does that sound like a good plan?
Attached Images
File Type: png LM3886 Layout v9.png (44.0 KB, 25 views)
Old Today, 01:41 PM   #62
simonra is offline simonra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

And here's version 10 of the layout, does that look better?
Attached Images
File Type: png LM3886 Layout v10.png (42.1 KB, 23 views)
Old Today, 04:54 PM   #63
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Suggestion on Rev. 10: Instead of using a trace to connect C4 to the input ground plane, why not just extend the plane north in the layout and scoot C4 over? That would give you lower ESR and ESL on C4. As I've said before... You're paying for the copper anyway. You might as well use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonra View Post
I plan to solder Cc directly across the input pins on the underside of the pcb - that's why it's disappeared from the layout.
Why? The whole point of getting a PCB made is that you avoid point-to-point and fly-by-wire components. There's plenty of room for Cc. For example, you could rotate C2 and place Cc next to R6.

Quote:
I have to admit that I'd completely confused myself about Rf2 and Cf and also mis-read the responses in this thread.
If you add Cc, you'll get overshoot in the transient response. Rf2 and Cf tame this overshoot.

Quote:
When you say to add the resistor to the "outside" of the input cap does that mean between the signal input to the board (the molex connector) and the cap?
"Outside" would be the source side of the input cap. So across the Molex input connector.

Be mindful of the spacing on the thermal reliefs. If you push the limits on the supply voltage, you'll have 84 V between nodes in places. Now, I'm not suggesting you run your circuit at those voltages, but I would at least make sure the board doesn't arc over before the ABS MAX limit on the IC is reached.

For my recommendations on the supply voltage, have a look here: Taming the LM3886 - Output Power.

Tom

Last edited by tomchr; Today at 05:05 PM.

Newbie LM3886 CircuitHide this!Advertise here!