Revisiting an old inverted gainclone - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2017, 06:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Revisiting an old inverted gainclone

I built an inverted gainclone about 12 years ago. It sounded fine at the time although when I first fired it up it was picking up radio somehow. I put a small value ceramic cap from the input to ground and that solved it. I had a 100kdual stereo pot on the back for input gain(voltage divider) and at max it gave some issues. I figured it was the pot being flaky.
I just pulled it out of storage as I need an amp and decided to bypass the pot as I want full gain. Now I get the noise I thought was from a faulty pot all that time. One channel has a high pitched whistle and the other a 60 Hz hum.
I used the uninsulated chips so the rather big heat sink they sit on is sitting at the negative voltage. The wiring is point to point an isn't particularly tidy but the amp seemed fine at lower gain settings prior to bypassing the pot.
Any ideas? Thanks. I haven't been on this site in years. Fun to be reading it again.
Old 16th April 2017, 07:41 AM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

If you want help then post your schematic.
It would also help us to help you if you posted some detailed pictures of the assembly.
Old 16th April 2017, 05:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I need to remove the heatsink which everything is hiding under to even see what I used for component values.
Old 18th April 2017, 01:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I gutted it and am starting over. I broke leg off a chip while poking around. So I decided to just junk it. I have two Brian GT boards(I think that is what they are) I will install instead that have been sitting around for a decade. Dual Power supplies and giant 1500VA toroid are still good.Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!