Question about these amps... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2017, 12:42 AM   #1
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Question about these amps...

I have used 3116 and 3118 based amps and find them to be handy and sound decent for their money. A current project requires a pair of small speakers, and a small subwoofer - so naturally these designs came to mind.

Looking at this design here, I had a few questions:

TPA3116 100W+2*50W Class D Amplifier Board Bluetooth 2.1 Amplifier Board New | eBay

Do these operate as whatever the source is, and then when a BT device pairs, the input will change, or?

How good/bad is Bluetooth 4.0 quality? The BT is a bonus, essentially allowing someone to stream audio from their phone/pc in lieu of the source material it normally would play. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 7th April 2017, 08:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would love to avoid talking about those power amplifiers; however, the bluetooth looks like a good idea.
Bluetooth, usually has power supply isolation, that is hard to arrange otherwise. I sure do like the bluetooth. What with the clean, isolated, power, it could deliver a goodly impression of hi-fi. It costs less and works practically better than boutique priced PC sound cards.

I have not noticed a practical difference between the 2.1 and 4.0 bluetooth, despite the difference in specification. The 2.1 tends to be 16 bit and the 4.0 is capable of higher resolution; however, since both of them tend to blast off their more expensive peers, the remaining difference is notwithstanding. I did actually check that.

Due to the advantage of a private power supply, both of the bluetooth specs that you have mentioned, will beat almost all of PC sound cards (regardless of price), due to a difference in environment and supply noise.

After that shock, I may have failed to compare the bluetooth options.
Old 7th April 2017, 03:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply. Definitely not concerned now about the BT quality for this application.

My main goal is to use the amplifier because its cheap and works. Its not a HiFi application, but am hoping that with a fixed input, that the user can pair via BT a tablet or phone with the amp and send that source signal to the unit rather than the source of what I am putting the amp into.

Then hope when they unpair it, the amp goes back to the fixed input, no physical switch needed.

II have a plan based on what I've learned about audio, and am trying to bring better quality sound to a hobby that normally takes audio not so seriously... Gotta contribute what I can. Thanks for this.
Old 8th April 2017, 03:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortron View Post

Then hope when they unpair it, the amp goes back to the fixed input, no physical switch needed.
I don't believe that amplifier will accept an analog input without modification, ie bluetooth only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwritesbac View Post
Bluetooth, usually has power supply isolation, that is hard to arrange otherwise. I sure do like the bluetooth. What with the clean, isolated, power, it could deliver a goodly impression of hi-fi. It costs less and works practically better than boutique priced PC sound cards.
I beg to differ. There are many inexpensive ways to achieve very high quality audio from a PC based source.

Quote:

Due to the advantage of a private power supply, both of the bluetooth specs that you have mentioned, will beat almost all of PC sound cards (regardless of price), due to a difference in environment and supply noise.
I'm not sure so many home recording studios would be using PC sound cards for A/D and D/A IO if the quality was as poor as you make it out to be. You might choose to do a little study on the subject before spreading so much misinformation.
Old 8th April 2017, 11:10 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

well i think research has been done.
and yess a pc case is a hostile environment for a soundcard.

however, it does not mean a soundcard has to be bad.
but it does mean that the bluetooth is a better solution.
Old 8th April 2017, 01:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

For those arguing... I have heard an all digital PC that had a $1200 soundcard that is very well regarded... MacIntosh and Harbeths... Was one of the sweetest sounding computer rigs I've heard. Better than some peoples analog setup.

Maybe they meant "on board" sound cards, like the typical line out on most consumer PCs... Given my non-hifi comment, perhaps he assumed (correctly) that its what most people use in the field I am lookin into.
Old 8th April 2017, 03:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

nah onboard audio nowdays even on the cheapest of motherboards hits the mark of creative audigy2 cards of the past.
the thing is, if -be it onboard or an addon card- it gets power from the computer, then it gets noise too. in witch case external DAC connected via optical link, or by wireless methood as bluetooth has an inheritent advantage. allways. without exceptions. every single time.
Old 10th April 2017, 07:41 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Sorry guys

The problem is that all of you are right.

There are indeed some PC's within most sound cards work fantastically. I have to believe it is the power supply, motherboard power circuit, motherboard digital management of those particular PC's. And, due to experience which has included attempts to replicate favorable PC environments at some expense, that the odds of a repeat success are very poor.

Therefore, I also have to report that external digital devices that don't share the same power supply as the PC are, on average count, more likely to perform as expected for a high fidelity source.

If you need a better briefing than that, then just try to buy a new model wristwatch that fits your wrist rather than your ankle. That frustration is actually worse.
Old 10th April 2017, 10:02 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The problem is that all of you are right.

There are indeed some PC's within most sound cards work fantastically. I have to believe it is the power supply, motherboard power circuit, motherboard digital management of those particular PC's. And, due to experience which has included attempts to replicate favorable PC environments at some expense, that the odds of a repeat success are very poor.

Therefore, I also have to report that external digital devices that don't share the same power supply as the PC are, on average count, more likely to perform as expected for a high fidelity source.
The easiest way to get high quality audio from a PC is to make the most of the S/PDIF, Toslink or HDMI outputs that are usually available on modern PCs, with an outboard DAC of some description. That's what I've done these last 10 or more years. These three interfaces are all superior to Bluetooth.
Old 11th April 2017, 06:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

look. if you share ground with the rest of the computer, then it is inheritevly not superior to digital wireless methoods, or an optical digital connection.
however a even a decent onboard chip does what would be studio like quality few years before.

Hide this!Advertise here!