Newbie TDA7293 Parallel Build Board Layout - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2017, 04:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Newbie TDA7293 Parallel Build Board Layout

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site, and to DIY audio builds, and have decided for my first project to build a TDA7293 amp with two of the devices in parallel. I wanted to get some advice on the board layout since I've never built anything high power before and was a bit concerned about trace widths and spacings. I have attached links to images of the schematic and board layout I have created using Eagle PCB (but can supply the .brd and .sch files if that is more helpful) and would really love any advice or comments so that I don't create any unexpected explosions

For the circuit I'm pretty much sticking to the design given in the datasheet with only some tweaks to help improve the low end frequency response as suggested here. Also, I know it's messy and a bit of a pain to figure out what's going on but I decided to go for a single sided board for now so there are jumper connections galore! Most of the jumper connections run horizontally across the board and it should hopefully be clear where they are going but can provide more details on that if you need.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:17 AM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Buy a PCB from a project that is well recommended by Members and has a good build guide.

For a first build don't try a multi-chipamp.
For a first build don't try to make your own PCB.

Just build a mono on your bench and learn how to get it working properly.
When that has been achieved fold it up into a shape that will fit a box.
Check the performance is as good as when strung out along the bench.
When the folded up version is working properly, work out what size of box is needed to enclose it and it's copy and only then order up a chassis to fit, or a bit bigger.
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:47 AM   #3
basi is offline basi  Croatia
diyAudio Member

TDA7293 Dual Parallel 170W BTL Mono Audio Power Amplifier AMP Board Assembled | eBay

170 w version

TDA7293 255W Amplifier Board Amplifier Parallel BTL Mono Power | eBay

255 w version.
For such low price is best buy.U will spend a lot more money and time and u will not make nothing similar.

Last edited by basi; 23rd March 2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 27th March 2017, 09:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

When that much power is used indoors, it will have to be done pleasantly as the foremost requirement.
Old 27th March 2017, 10:14 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the advice and recommendations for the ready made boards, I really appreciate it. Since I already had enough parts to populate the PCB I designed I decided to put it together just to see what would happen. So far it seems to work but I don't plan on doing anything with it at the moment. As you suggest I will try out a build with the ebay boards and at least I can compare my board to the ebay ones to see if there are any differences and get a better understanding of the how the chips are working.

Thanks again!
Old 27th March 2017, 10:42 AM   #6
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

measure output offset and output Noise+Hum.
See how they change with operating conditions.
Check to see for oscillation or ringing of the output when presented with some mild reactive loading.
Old 30th March 2017, 04:24 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeorDeath View Post
Since I already had enough parts to populate the PCB I designed I decided to put it together just to see what would happen. So far it seems to work. . .
Seems very interesting!
Can you post several, clear close-up photos top and bottom?
Bright light / sunlight would help with the photos

I was thinking that, since it has already worked, we could have us a look to see what seems likely to make an improvement. That's usually a cinch--just moving a part or two. Usually, that would be, in fact, moving a part or two, closer to the chip.
Old 8th May 2017, 04:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Apologies for the delayed response. Haven't had much time to play around with the board lately. I have a couple of pics (top and bottom) of the board and can post more of specific sections of interest if required. One thing that I've noticed is that when I power down I definitely get some surge. I used the mute/standby design for the parallel configuration in the datasheet, however, I notice that this is different to the what is recommended in the mute/stand by sections. Am I better changing to this design (which includes a 30k resistor in parallel with parallel diode in the mute circuitry)?

Hide this!Advertise here!