Voltage When Switch is Off

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Listen-- you want my job? I've got Hamid Karzai, General Musharraf, Jacques Chirac and Gerhard Schröder up my butt 24-7. Not to mention, Schröder wants his boombox and his Foreigner 4 tape back, so he's, like, calling my wife and stuff and she's been telling him I'm not home.

You know how much of my time the Arghan Loya Jirga is taking up? They can't even get a real constitution, let alone a reasonable government!

Hey man, you want my job, YOU GOT IT! Its all I can do to relax with some DIY audio...

Anyway, I got a DPST switch, but maybe it was the wrong one since it had two "on" positions. The first "on" position connected terminals 1 and 2, and the second "on" position connected terminals 2 and 3. I'm assuming that this would have caused a problem in that when the live wire was connected, the neutral would be disconnected, and vice versa.

I know I screwed this up, but can anyone tell me how?

Kofi

I'm sure its not in Ohms mode-- its on DC. Also, if I take out the switch it will always be on, so I won't be able to draw any conculsions that way, unless I'm missing what you're saying.

Here's the situation:

Unplugged: No voltage across the rectifiers
Plugged in and turned off: 2V DC across the rectifiers
Plugged in and turned on: 17.5V DC across the rectifiers

Really thinking there's DC coming through the neutral line here.

Again, can anyone comment on the SPDT / DPDT switch issue? I'm not sure I undertstand how to hook this up when there are two "ON" positions for the switch.

Thanks in advance!
Kofi

BTW-- the diyaudio site is not responding so good for me so my responses may be delayed.

your DPST switch has 6 pins yeaH?

stick the power inlet live and nuetral to each of the middle pins

connect the fuse to the top pin on the live side, and stick the remaining transformer wire (assuming of course the fuse goes to the other) to the top contact on the neutral side - i say top contact so that the switch is on when in the down position

a DPST switch will solve this issue as it will cut both lines. you should always use them anyway for added safety

Does your meter have a continuity tester? If not, set your meter to ohms and put a lead on each of the prongs of the plug (unlpug it from the wall first!). With the switch closed you should get something low. With it open you shouldnt get any reading (or whatever your meter gives for infinity).

Hello to all and thank you for all your comments and responses. Unfortunately, Kofi Annan will no longer be pursuing DIY audio in order to concentrate on global crisis resolution.

This was a hard decision to make and was based, in part, on the fact that he had the AC receptacle wired the wrong motherfather way.

Once he rewired the receptacle the RIGHT way, everything worked out and he was left only with a feeling of disillusionment and self loathing.

If you see Mr. Annan on television, at the United Nations building or if you read about him in the papers, please take a few moments to curse his ignorant soul for the blight he has inflicted upon the DIY community.

Comments and questions may be directed to the UN Public Relations Department.

Thank you,
Simon L. Bonderfinger-Hume
Personal Secretary for Mr. Kofi Annan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.