LME498xx, LM4702 discontinued. What are the alternatives?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So after being out of the audio circle for a couple of years I cam back to do a six channel amp project for an active speaker setup and found that my goto amplifiers (the LME498xx) are now discontinued by TI. You can't even get hold of the data sheets on TI's website.

Is there anything else on the market similar? I can't find anything. Seems TI's class D audio solutions sell far better as that is almost all there is from them now. The old friend the LM3886 is still there thankfully!

I liked the convenience and performance of the LME series. Personally, i don't think there's any difference sonically between two well performing amplifiers so don't care that they are an IC or whatever rubbish. Based on this i've been thinking about op amps that could do the job but there are little high voltage options. Supply bootstrapping could be an option though.

Yeah - I just noticed this too. I was reading some datasheets I printed out a while back and went to search for the PDF's to read on my computer and couldn't find anything.

The fact the pages are completely gone is ridiculous, you search "LM4702" and all you find are app notes, click 'products' and nothing comes up! Come on TI! Did the part even go on a EOL in x years phase? I don't remember seeing that, but maybe I didn't notice.

Back on topic, what are people recommending now for class AB with a bit of power behind it? Any TDA chip compare with the LM4702?

Some manufacturers (Rotel comes to mind) are bringing back Class AB. The end users like the sound quality better...

Meanwhile I found a way to cobble six LM3886es together in a bridge/parallel with a composite error correction loop driving the THD to practically zero: Modulus-686: 380W (4Ω); 220W (8Ω) Balanced Composite Power Amp with extremely low THD

Other alternatives to the LME498xx-series would be to design an output stage with some gain and add an opamp. Or a fully discrete design.

Tom

Some manufacturers (Rotel comes to mind) are bringing back Class AB. The end users like the sound quality better...

Meanwhile I found a way to cobble six LM3886es together in a bridge/parallel with a composite error correction loop driving the THD to practically zero: Modulus-686: 380W (4Ω); 220W (8Ω) Balanced Composite Power Amp with extremely low THD

Other alternatives to the LME498xx-series would be to design an output stage with some gain and add an opamp. Or a fully discrete design.

Tom

Looks great, shame it's stupidly expensive.

Considering the performance I deliver and the engineering that went into the design of the Modulus-686, it is actually stupidly inexpensive. The performance of the MOD686 is neck-and-neck with that of the $3000 Benchmark ABH-2. You can build a stereo MOD686 for less than $1k.

But yeah... If you're expecting me to deliver high-end circuits at eBay prices, which means I would have to pay you to take my goods, you'll be thoroughly disappointed. Then again, it doesn't take much searching to determine the performance level and customer service level you get on eBay. It turns out you get what you pay for.

Tom

You probably meant how stupidly cheap!
Did you ever bought those awful ebay kits? Most of the times don't even work like they should, including ZERO documentation and support.
Now, they might be cool to learn stuff but I would never buy those for daily use due to many reasons.

Further more Tom's designs are transparent and rival big boys on the market.
Have you ever seen any commercial manufacturer release documentation of performance that detailed detailed as Tom does?

You get what you pay for and more. Performance, support and incredible value.

I designed for fun a 2*400W,8R amp from the 3886 + output stage.
Even though I took the PCB:s from China, it seems that the total costs, including the PSU, will easily exceed 400e for the stereo amp.
Im not sure if I will make the prototype at all, even if the PCBs are already on their way...

There is, however, a couple of stupidly expencive components in it, like 2x LL1540 for galvanic isolation to break ground loops and stuff, which then shows on the price tag...

Goal was to make it remove all possible noise from the output.
I hate noise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.