LM4780 inductive load running hot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am using 4 channel 4xLM4780 GCs in bridged mode to drive 5-6ohm speaker drivers directly after active crossover (freedsp). DC offset is around 100mV for all amps and it sounds pretty good. PS rails are at +-34v. However, they do run a bit too warm even at low volume levels, around 45deg Celsius. The exact same amps are running less warm with classic xo.

Is this normal?

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

Last edited:
100mVdc for offset is terrible.
I guess that some of your bridged arrangements are connected in parallel.
Paralleling of high offset chipamps will result in severe overheating.
Get the chipamps sorted.
The National BPA300 shows how they recommend you do it. Follow their advice.

It's parallel configuration actually. Instead of 680r and 270r resistors in audiosector schematics, I have 1k. That's probably why I have a bit higher offset. I found a post from Peter Daniel saying this is normal value for this kit. Not sure this is related to high dissipation, as the same configuration runs fine with passive xo. I will test with no load at the output.

I am using 4 channel 4xLM4780 GCs in bridged mode to drive 5-6ohm speaker drivers directly after active crossover (freedsp). DC offset is around 100mV for all amps and it sounds pretty good. PS rails are at +-34v. However, they do run a bit too warm even at low volume levels, around 45deg Celsius. The exact same amps are running less warm with classic xo.

Is this normal?

In bridged mode the amplifier's PdMax is 4x conventional mode. What's the thermal impedance of the heat sink?

100mV is way too much offset as Andrew mentions -- current flows out of the input pins of the LM4780 (up to 1uA) so the IR product * gain shows up on the output. This is why TI (formerly National) showed a servo on their bridged designsheet.

In bridged mode the amplifier's PdMax is 4x conventional mode. What's the thermal impedance of the heat sink?

100mV is way too much offset as Andrew mentions -- current flows out of the input pins of the LM4780 (up to 1uA) so the IR product * gain shows up on the output. This is why TI (formerly National) showed a servo on their bridged designsheet.
It's parallel, my mistake.

Wait hold on, this in parallel configuration?

http://www.audiosector.com/lm4780 amp.pdf

0.2 ohms between amps... a 20mV difference between the 2 amplifiers will already result in 0.1A of current. Put things in perspective, the quiescent current of LM4780 is also 0.1A.
That's the one, yes. I think I might have an oscillation outside audible spectrum.

I should have written that, in bridge mode, the chip's dissipation is 4x conventional mode.

Here's a screen shot of NatSemi's Excel spreadsheet. If you want a copy PM me:

Attachments

• LM4780_Thermal.png
    LM4780_Thermal.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 63
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.