Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

My Q-Watt project
My Q-Watt project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2016, 09:00 AM   #21
delange is offline delange  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpe View Post
Hiya,
I too have been following the project on Elektor Labs.
I'm interested to have some views/feedback on cases to fit two Q-Watt boards and two SMPS's inside one case.
Cases... that is a very personal choice I would say. It comes down to personal preference. As mentioned in my initial post, I'm building a custom designed case. One of my objectives for this project is to 'hide' the amplifier behind the speakers. You will probably have different objectives...
There is a popular manufacturer that you might want to check out: Modushop by Hi-Fi 2000 | Contenitori per Elettronica | Electronic Enclosures | Hi Fi Chassis
I'm sure you will find an enclosure that you like and fits your needs (size, looks, etc).

I'll post more pictures of my project as it progresses.

Quote:
Apart from that having ordered the recommended heatsinks, i assume they have to be mounted so that the 'fins' point out, rather than lay the heatsink flat with the 'fins' pointing downwards?
Andrew already pointed out what is important when mounting / using heat sinks so I won't repeat that.
But while sourcing an enclosure, you might want to look at the enclosures with "build in" heat sinks. Just be sure to check if the model you select is sufficient to keep the Q-Watt cool.
Old 30th December 2016, 09:14 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basreflex View Post
there is no overcurrent, or short circuit protection, and no clip protection.
trusting all that available power to a single pair of output transistors seems optimistic to me. why not add a few more power transistors in paralell ?
I'm not worried about all those things. My extremely loud playing music days are over
Besides that, the Q-Watt designers idea behind the project was to create a simple amplifier with decent specifications. That's the reasons why it doesn't come with a lot of whistles and bells.
People are still free to implement more bells and whistles if they like. That's the beauty of diy I guess.
Old 30th December 2016, 02:09 PM   #23
calpe is offline calpe  Gibraltar
diyAudio Member

My Q-Watt project
Default Q-Watt heatsinks

That being the case the recommended heatsinks will be binned and is a waste of money, seeing that in the Elektor article their downfall is that they have not recommended any type of case to use.

https://www.modushop.biz/site/index....path=66_95_101

https://www.modushop.biz/site/index....y&path=204_206
Old 30th December 2016, 02:26 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Unless I'm overlooking something, the site does not mention the thermal resistance of their heat sinks (on the links you provided above).

Anyway, if you prefer the use the heat sinks you already bought then you could look at the enclosures without a heat sink:

Slimline:
https://www.modushop.biz/site/index....tegory&path=20

Pesante:
https://www.modushop.biz/site/index....tegory&path=65

A 3U enclosure is a bit higher than the 100 mm height of the SK45 heat sink and would be a possible candidate.
Old 30th December 2016, 03:10 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

My Q-Watt project
Yep, the Modushop lacks information and i have today made some enquiries to them.

I really would like to use the heatsinks ive purchased at 17 pound each , so lets see

Last edited by calpe; 30th December 2016 at 03:13 PM. Reason: amend text
Old 30th December 2016, 03:33 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

My Q-Watt project
Check it out:-
http://modu.it/CARATTERISICHE_TERMICHE_DISS.pdf
Old 30th December 2016, 03:51 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
These are more than sufficient for the Q-Watt.
Old 30th December 2016, 06:57 PM   #28
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
trusting all that available power to a single pair of output transistors seems optimistic to me. why not add a few more power transistors in parallel ?
iirc, they are 300W devices, semelab also makes 400W devices but in a TO-264, same lead spacing.
Old 30th December 2016, 08:45 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

My Q-Watt project
Default Q-Watt - heatsinks

cheers Delange for the confirmation.
I'll have to check measurements etc. to be able to order a case, i really need to give a big push on this to put it all together and test!
Old 30th December 2016, 09:08 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavas View Post
iirc, they are 300W devices, semelab also makes 400W devices but in a TO-264, same lead spacing.
Yes, these are nice devices. Shame that they are discontinued.
I ordered a few for spare the other day.

My Q-Watt projectHide this!Advertise here!